Rear Window Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sumner

Reaction score
So, a few days ago, without any previous problems, I start hearing a metal-on-metal scraping when I put the back window up. This of course led to the window and I having an up-and-down relationship for the next few minutes. I was able to get the window to stop at or around vent.

Yesterday, I mistakenly decide to look at the issue. What a mess. I had no idea what to expect and was not disappointed. For those of you, like me, who had no idea how the thing worked, it is like an garage door opener. There is a twisted metal wire cable that is routed through the motor and attaches to a plastic lifter. One end is connected over the top of the rail, the other through the bottom. A sort of push-pull dealie.

Using a mirror and flashlight, I was able to determine that twisted wire cable had come off the guide wheel at the top and was wedged behind it. In addition, there seemed to be an unusual amount of slack in the bottom wire and it was slightly coiled. So what did I do? I tried to un-wedge it, but all that did was disconnect it from plastic piece that moves the window up and down. Now I was really committed, so I took it apart. I removed the bracket attached to the window and then the rail. At that point, it was able to release the wire from behind the guide wheel, but it was slightly kinked. I figured that was bad, so I decided to remove the motor too.

Long story long, the cable broke off a plastic piece inside the motor where it wraps around someway or another and I need a new motor. My question is, does the cable come with the motor? If so, is it pre-threaded and/or connected? Also, what is the likelihood of getting a new rail? Any input would be appreciated.

No sure this is a question or concern, but I am wondering if I am over my head in thinking I can put this all back together again and it will work. Thoughts?

P.S. I have a 2003 Trac, which I bought new, and this is my first real "project". LOL

I cant help with this one. I agree you got a mess.

BTW, Welcome to the site.:D Good folks and info here. Im sure someone knows..

If the cable has jumped, you will need the regulator. If the gear is gone from the motor, you will need that as well. I don't know how easy it will be to do, but the regulator is about $150 and the motor is about $120.

Latest posts