Rearend Ratio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look on your drivers door sticker...

Code ... Ratio

41 ...... 3.27C

42 ...... 4.10C

43 ...... 3.08C

45 ...... 3.55C

46 ...... 3.73C

D1 ...... 3.27L

D2 ...... 4.10L

D4 ...... 3.73L

D5 ...... 3.55L

Todd Z

Great, thank you! If I read it correctly with a code of 42 I have a ratio of 4:10. This should be a good ratio for towing.

Yes........ will work fine.....ONLY thing is you have an open diff, not limited slip or a posi..

Todd Z

Please excuse me for sounding ignorant. What does "Open Diff" mean and how will it affect towing?

Not towing necessarily unless on a boat ramp or in the snow , sand or mud....

IF you get stuck or on slippery surfaces only 1 tire will have power to it.....

Are you 4wd or 2 ?

Todd Z

For straight-up highway towing an open diff is actually better because it won't build up as much heat. Pulling a trailer on gravel or mud in campgrounds, or wet boat ramps, not so much.

Link below. You've got to click to advance each page to read the whole article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '03, 2wd, w/ a stock rear end. I pull a 20' regal bow-rider (3500lb) and have never experienced any problems on the ramp or highway. I will admit that I choose my ramps carefully (solid surface only). Very far and few in-between I get a little bit of spin on the ramp. At that point I'll ever so gently left-foot the brake while applying gas, providing a bit of resistance to mitigate any spin.

Granted I just tow a jetski (it's a big one), but with my old '05 Trac with a limited-slip and Dueler REVO's I could have the rear tires IN the water and I don't think I ever needed 4wd or spun a tire even though the ramps here are pretty steep.