rebuilt transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
I have a 01 Sporttrac. It has 46,000miles on it. I bought it with 38k(private sale). I 've had the truck for 7 months and I already have problems with the tranny. It started to shift funny, the OD loght was flashing and the tranny went into safe mode. I had a tranny guy reset my computer, but that didn't work. Therfore I have to have the tranny rebuilt. $3000.00 Ouch!!:angry: Has anyone had these problems with their sporttrac? Does anyone think Ford would give me some compensation for this?

I bet it is the dealer charging 3 grand. Check some local tranny shops. They usually do a better job and are cheaper.

Tom

IIRC there was a shop selling the tranny on Ebay for like $800 in exchange for the damaged one...

Someone here might remember the details

The tranny’s off EBay are out of Phoenix Az.

I've had my tranny fail as well and had it fixed via Blue Oval. I had been watching closely those here that had been posting problems concerning their transmissions and when mine did the "Flashing OD Light of Death" and started to slip I took it in ASAP and it was repaired for $850.

If you do a search here on the tranny you'll get the P/N for the tranny. Do a search on EBay and hopefully it will come up. If my tranny acts up again, it's off to Phoenix for me. I'd give you that number, but in the short search I did all I found was a whole bunch of posts about tranny issues. And to think at one time some one here said I was just wank'in and there were only a few ST’s with tranny problems. I think not so Sir… That's about the same thing Ford Motor Co. said when I called. "We understand that there is a problem and that the Ford Explorer has transmission issues, but Ford Motor Co. has no provisions or liability for this issue."

Do the search and by all means check your options on repair.

Respectfully.

XMark3

What I'm hearing here doesn't exactly inspire me with a sense of confidence in purchasing an ST when i go home.....I can handle a mushy suspension and weak sway bar, but transmissions are a big deal to me. Anyone heard of this problem on the'05 models?

I have an '02 and it has been flawless, I guess bad news are more likely to be discussed in the board, we're not really used to see a post titled "I don't have a problem"... ;)

I've posted my share of "I Love my ST" posts. I do like the vehicle and would suggest the vehicle to some one (and have done so and to one that had the engine and transmission replaced) that was considering buying Sport Trac. The fact is that my transmissions failed and so have many others. Not in the numbers of those that have not experienced the failure, but still it is a notable and concerning problem. In fact, Ford Motor Co. noted that there was a problem but chooses not to take action on the problem. Could be because they feel there is not enough data to support the problem or that it is a problem and to rectify it would be more costly then just letting me and others wank about it. I enjoy my ST that's why I repaired it and continue to install selected Mods. The real issue here is that in some builds/years there is an issue with the transmission.

As a Marine I handle the maintenance issues of over 300 acft. I know maintenance and I know a trend when it presents itself. Any way you slice it, dice it, or FRENCH FRY it, our French transmissions have load issues.

Do the search. Yes Fer I agree with you, we are more likely to talk about the negative issues over positive issues.

Respectfully.

XMark3

Here's an Ebay search where you can get a new transmission for around $700. I'm not sure of what the stipulations are, whether you have to send your old tranny back or not, but it's a start.

Just to instill some confidence in you, I've just passed 60K on my tranny and I run it harder than most if not all of the members here. I floor it everywhere I go, well not so much lately with gas prices, I race it, I've loaded the cargo bed down numerous times this summer, and it's still running strong on Wayne's tune. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned (it's my first though...lol) and if the tranny takes a dump at 100K, I'll replace it. If the engine takes a dump at 150K, I'll replace it. There's just no beating the versatility of these trucks, and I plan to have mine forever. My dad always talks about how he wishes he still had his first car, and I plan to still have mine when I'm 48 as well. Dang...It'll be a classic by then.

Just a chime in by Tracnblack. Work at G.M. Lot of the same issues that bother us all.

G.M. Piston Slap issue (dealer says its normal, go figure.). G.M. Transmission 1st

to 2nd (harsh, no-shift issue). Again, G.M. says it's normal, go figure. Many people

that I know have had major issues with G.M. within 30-60 thousand miles. Lets

all stick together on this (these) issues and all I can say from experience is that

there will be power in numbers, if it ever comes down to it...

Latest posts