Recon LED light bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have red ones. The clear ones looked a little to pink for my tastes. Since LEDs don't "dim" when color is added, the brightness is the same for both.

The red LED's give it a nice, rich red color coming through the taillight lens.

+1 for the red LEDs. I have red ones in my tail lights, and they do indeed provide a very rich red color. I agree with Mark K.: white bulbs make it look to "pink".

Years ago, I added separate, brighter back-up lights. I installed amber LED's in the old back-up light holes and rewired them to become rear amber turn signals. So cool!

Mark, I've been thinking about doing the same thing for awhile now.... got any pics of it?

I used to be an electrician at an ambulance factory, so the conversion was second-nature to me.

You have to cut a wire near the brake light switch, connect a new wire to the switch, and run it to the brake lights. Then you have to cut the backup light wires at sockets and reconnect the OEM brake light wires to them. If you don't know what you're doing, you can really screw things up.

I originally did it because I thought I was moving to the UK and bringing my truck with, but decided against it.

As a part of the conversion, I also added a red rear fog light and turn signal lights to the sides of the front fenders. The only thing I didn't do to complete the conversion was to change the front turn signal bulb to #3456 amber bulbs and add separate white parking light bulbs to the front turn signal housings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wiring is no problem for me, but thanks for the quick guide. I was mainly wondering if you have a pic of it at night, with the lights on and amber blinker going. No big deal if you don't though.

Latest posts