Red or Black bushings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
What is the difference between the red and black energy suspension endlink bushings?

They both claim to be polyurethane, they're both the same size, and both come with the exact same quantity of bushings and washers.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the color. Black is 2-3 bucks more expensive than red.

Anyone know why?

From using the red ones before I know they're really stiff and will wear out pretty quickly on our ST's, atleast they did on mine. They don't have alot if any play give to them so they get crushed and split. The black ones are probably softer which would be better for you. I went back to the Moogs and haven't had any problems with this set.

Im not positive. I think the black ones are impregnated with some sort of lube. graphite maybe.

Jerry is right about the red ones. I havent used them in about 10yrs, but. I had some split from over tightening or being crushed. That was then, so I dont know if that has been solved.

Quotes From Energy Suspension's Official Website:

"Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEX performance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall.

How are these two colors different?

The only difference between the red and black parts is that most Black Energy Suspension parts are Graphite Impregnated. This serves to help self lubricate the bushings. The Red parts do not have this characteristic. Aside from the actual color and the lack of being Graphite Impregnated - the red parts are essentially the same as the black.

I thought that the RED parts were harder and more performance oriented?

This is a common misconception. The red parts have the same durometer (hardness) as the Black parts and differ only in their actual appearance (color) and the fact that they're NOT graphite impregnated like the Black parts.

Eddie is correct, as usual. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
KL- Moog end link bolts are 7/16" I.D. versus 3/8" Energy Suspension.

Need to drill the smaller ES washers and bushings if you are using the Moog end links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts