Reliability Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Q's from a relative newbie... My main questions are on the seemingly non-greaseable

front ends on the 2005 Sport Tracs, tranny additives for '04-'05's, (wrong t-fluid

formulations), electrical issues (rear window motors, etc...). I know these Q's

could have been posted under their respective topics, but these seem to be things

that I see under the posts that I am most concerned about right now. The main use

of my ST (and my wife's, also) will be daily drivers, lots of highway miles, and will be

well maintained, as I used to be an N.I.A.S.E. Certified Master Mechanic 'till July

of 2001, when I let my certification expire. Most (99%) of my experience has been

with G.M. vehicles, as I have worked there for 21 years. New to the Ford scene. Both

mine and the better half's are '05 ST's. Hers an XLS Premium, mine an XLT Premium.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. By the way, is it just me (a G.M. Employee),

or are these Sport Tracs like a drug or something?! You see, you drive, you buy,

and it all goes down (or up) hill from there? Love the site, Love the people, love the

info. Ya' got me hooked on it!!! Tracnblack...

Last edited by a moderator:
No tranny recalls or TSB's for 2005 as far as I know. (I have a 2005.) I had two 4x4 Rangers before, same front suspension as a Trac, no troubles with the '99, had to replace the ball joints on one side on the '02 kinda early (still on warranty) but otherwise no problems.

:DI have had my 2001 since fall of 2000 and it hasn't missed a lick except for a replaced wiper/turn signal arm. ( the wipers came on when tou signaled to turn)

Yup No issues on my 05. All tranny additive issues are resolved and the non greasable ball joints, bother me too but, I believe Ford makes a greasable replacement or Moog and/or others do. Tracs have many quirks. Just love them and most irritations are not harmfull. These guys and girls can help with any other down the road issues. :):cool:

I was concerned, too, before I got my ST. Reading the posts about problems made me worry. Then I came to the conclusion that in ANY brand there are problems.

It seems human nature to COMPLAIN rather than PRAISE. So you won't see many posts like "MY ST IS WORKING JUST FINE".

Mine is less than one year old. I have had two problems, one was the A/C blew cool but not cold air when summer first started. FORD fixed it. Second was last week when I noticed the rear reading lights never came on, FORD fixed that too. If you count the tranny additive I have had three problems.

I only have 3700 miles on my ST. It is a second vehicle primarily for pulling my pop-up trailer but may become chief family "car". I have read a lot about how bad the shocks are and need for heavier anit-sway bar, but recently went over two old forrest roads across the mountains and back here using 4WD a good part of the trip due to primitive road conditions( a round trip of about 8 hours and 100 miles ) and I saw nothing wrong with my stock ones....at least not bad enough to replace until a few more miles are piled up.

I have had several vehicles in the last 45 years and some have been good, some not so good. Never had a "lemmon" though.

I thought I had another problem but people on here told me how to correct what I thught was a problem. My rear seats wouldn't go all way down but that was due to my own lack of knowlege.

The people on here have had, collectively, every problem that has ever happened to the ST and they have solutions too.

THIS IS A GREAT SOURCE FOR ST OWNERS. Too bad more owners don't log on.

Thanks, guys and gals. Just got my wife's to the dealer today (Sloan Ford, Columbia

TN. ) for her first free oil change and initial 3,000 mile inspection. Dealer checked

on t.s.b.'s for me and came back o.k. Excellent Dealer, by the way. Owner was there

(James "Jim" Sloan) and walked me through the service dept. and introduced me

to everyone!!! Cecil Staggs, my salesman, greeted me at the door on time and

got me right in for service, per appointment. I see another Ford in my future!

Thanks again to all...Tracnblack...

Latest posts