Remote start feature won't engage starter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New problem with RKE. When I push the two buttons to activate remote starting I hear an electrical sound inside the engine like a quiet whirring - it happens over and over just like it would if it was trying to activate the starter itself but doesn't engage. Any input as to whether this is a potentially costly problem or an easy fix would be appreciated.

The sound you're hearing is probably the fuel pump. Do you know if a PATS bypass was installed, or did they put a spare key in the steering column trim? If they used the spare key trick, it might have shifted around and isn't close enough anymore for the transponder to work. If a PATS module was used, possibly its gone bad or a connection was broken somewhere.

Look and see if the HOOD pin wire has broken off, Most remote starts have a safety pin that if the HOOD is open it will not crank the engine..

ALSO see if the theft light blinks really fast when it is trying to start the truck....

I have to unlock my doors 2 times for my remote start to start the truck.... If I unlock it once, it will not crank the engine... ( Built in safety on my part)

Todd Z