Remote start problem next question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Nolte

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on the previous question. After talking to a local Remote start installer I learned a little more about the replies. Can anyone tell me more about the spare key that Ford uses in the Auto Start System. Also, could someone explain how the system picks up the signal and how that applies to my system not working when cold. Again the nearest Dealer is 4 hours away and I need to fiqure this out on my own.

What it does is it has a "loop" of wires that go around the transponder end of the key. These wires transmit the signal of the key to the "loop" of wires around the Ignition Switch. Which in turn makes the vehicle think a key is in the ignition. That is a short and sweet explanation. What you could do is shorten the wire between the box that the key is in to the ignition. Or get a new key (off e-bay) get it programed (follow instructions in the OM) and put the new key in the box. When it's cold out the key in the box gets cold and the transmition from the key gets weakened and will not travel the distance of the wire to the ignition.;)

p.s.- Also are you sure its a key system? There are "keyless" systems out there. They sometimes have the same problem when it's cold, but the ones I've put in, I haven't had any costomers complain. (Yet) Also check at any place that Remote Starters in your area. You may be able to get a keyless one there. If I was near you I'd be glad to take a look at it for ya.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stonemiser. That makes sense.:D What do I search for to find a spare key on ebay. Ford tells me a new key is $150. Why is one on ebay so much less?

Kirk

Kirk, E-bay is nice for some things. I usually tell people I put them in for to use it. Get the key cut and you can program it yourself. You will have to have the original two keys and I think you put the first one in and turn it to run (don't start it) and then remove the key. Insert the second, turn it to run and remove it. You should be in "program mode" now. Insert the third and wait for the "Theft" light ot go out and the key is programed. Check the Owners Manual. Mine give the description on how to do it. (2003)

Mybe this link will help on programming a key. Be sure and scroll down to the instructions for 1998 and up.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

Okay... I left the spare key in the ignition and the truck would not crank. It is -26 deg C tonight. This should eliminate the spare key ...right? Any more suggestions?

Kirk

alright i dont know exactly whats going on cause i havent read any of the other posts. put from reading ur post im guessing youre using the ford remote start. which im not to sure how they get the key signal to the ignition. but i recently installed a remot start on my trac and i used the directed universal transponder. the part number is 555u. all you do is put the key in the box and put the "loop" of wires around the ignition. theres also another wire you have to connect from the transponder to the alarm. its just a simple output wire that tells the transponder when to send the signal from the key to the ignition. as for the whole cold thing everyone is talking about that only happens with the transponders that use the little glass bulb. the cold causes the bulb to fog and the ignition has trouble picking up the signal. that doesnt apply to the transponder that uses the "loop" of wires. hope this helps.... let me know if it sounds confusing or you need some more help.

There is a small bulb located near the Connection Box. However at -25 deg C it is well past the fog stage. If the truck is warmed for a short period of time then the remote will crank. Does anyone have wiring diagram for a Ford Auto Start. This may make it easier for me to trace through the system?

Kirk

Sorry Kirk, can't help you with the wiring of a Ford RS. Go to this site and it shows the wiring for the ignition. I use it to install Bulldog RS. It sounds to me like the RS itself is freezing up. Try wrapping it in so insulation or getting it into an area that might keep it from getting so cold. (I know, I know. Where the hell is that, right?)

Great site on the web for these problems......try it...quick responses!!!

Latest posts