REMOTE START

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2003 sport trac with fords oem keyless entry.I would like to add remote start.

Do I have to buy a complete new unit,or is there something I can purchase to add the remote

start feature to what I already have?

It's possible to do, but very few installers would be able to.

My '07 has an aftermarket alarm controlled by the factory keyless remote.

You can find "stand alone" systems out there. (they will just start the vehicle, not do anything else (approx $50)) Not really much out there that will go with the OEM Keyless Entry. I'm not sure about the OEM Ford Remote Start System. They can be pricy though. I have worked with Bulldog Security systems and have only had trouble with one of them and it was a factory problem with the unit itself. They exchanged it no questions asked. As for putting one in, it's not to bad once you know what you are doing. If you take your time, anyone can put one in and save about half the cost of what someone would charge for the unit and installation. You will need the bypass for the transmitter key.;)

The OEM Ford system is just a CodeAlarm system.

I can integrate remote start and alarm into the keyless system.

I put an Autostart AS1755 on my 07 Trac and it works from just over a 1/2 mile away from the car. It also controls the locks. If you would like to keep your factory remotes you could always pickup a remote starter and just wire it up so on the 3rd pulse of the factory remote lock button it will start the vehicle via the remote start you added.

If you have any questions just ask.

Sorry to hijack this post but what is this "stand alone" system that is 50 bucks, can anyone post a link of a good one and what are the pro's and con's of using this type....... Thanks CHRIS

Half a mile away? Heck, I can't get the trac to unlock or sound the alarm when I have line of sight...maybe 300 feet at best?

Half a mile is impressive.

Chris, Bulldog Security used to make them and sell them at Walmart and K-Mart. I still see them around K-Mart every once in a while. Like I said, the ones that will just start the vehicle won't run you as much as the ones that do everything. If you don't mind having to "Fobs" on your keyring, it's the cheaper way to go. Here's 2 that I found on JCWhitney. I've put both of these into vehicles, and they work well for the price. You can find them cheaper on E-Bay and even get ones that have a 1/2 mile range for around $80. You will need the bypass also which will run starting from $40. (give or take);)

There's a way to GREATLY increase the range of your factory keyless...

Okay, I lied. There are several. My favorite requires soldering, but for those of you that don't feel comfortable with that, just hold it to your chin when you push the button. No joke. Try it.

Do your soldering hacks reduce battery life? Gotta get that superior power from somewhere, sadly...though unlike many, if my fob battery dies, I know to use the key to open the door! (such a revolutionary thought, or at least, that's what I thought lol)

The chin thing? Does it make your whole body into an antenna?

I dunno where JB Boxes is.... but he and I attempted some system together... I couldn't get to work to save my life. I know he got the fogs to light up... but dunno if he managed to make the system work... personal opinion after the whole ordeal is to fork the extra bucks and get a circuit city etc. to install it with a warranty.

Latest posts