Removal of instrument cluster screen 2008 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emory

Reaction score
Vehicle is a 2008 ST Limited. I wish to removed the plastic shield/screen which covers the gauge cluster. Something (spray treatment maybe?) has speckled the screen and I simply wish to clean the screen. Does the entire cluster have to be removed? Of is there a way to remove the dash housing and then remove the screen without removing the cluster? Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Not really. Best plan on removing cluster. Consider general cleaning of the dash interior, renewing the cluster bulbs, tightening the steering column hardware, while youre there.

Ok. So how do I remove the cluster? I saw one vid here on a 1st gen that showed him having to remove the entire radio/heat/ac pod. But that generation doesn't look like the '08. Anyone remove the cluster on an '08 ??

Thanks! I know he was showing how to remove the cluster, but I wonder how the lens can be removed for cleaning? Guess I'll have to pull the cluster and figure it out. If that lens is "fused" to the cluster housing, I wonder how I got "specks" of something splattered on the inside? Again, time to pull the thing and see how it comes apart. Thanks again! This appears a little easier than the Gen 1's.

Vehicle is a 2008 ST Limited. I wish to removed the plastic shield/screen which covers the gauge cluster. Something (spray treatment maybe?) has speckled the screen and I simply wish to clean the screen. Does the entire cluster have to be removed? Of is there a way to remove the dash housing and then remove the screen without removing the cluster? Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.
Emory, cluster must be removed. However, I’d recommend not separating from the housing, as it’s tricky to do and you may end up cracking the lens! Depending on your mechanical ability the cluster itself, is not difficult, but requires a little care in the process. Personally, if the “speckles” you mentioned are on the outside of the cluster, I’d clean it where it sits. Do not spray directly with harsh cleaners, best yet use a plastic cleaner wax applied on a soft cloth - and do apply too much pressure. Hopefully you figure it out. Like any post, it’s a recommendation.

Thanks. The "specks" are not on the front surface but on the inside, which makes me believe that something I spray was able to get behind the lens. The only way to find out is removing the cluster and closely examining the lens to see if it is removable. If not, it will simply stay the way it is. Not interested in replacing a cluster just to get a clear lens. I have a gut feeling that the lens may be removable. If it was sealed to the cluster housing, how would errant spray of a cleaner/treatment/etc get behind the lens? Strange. It will be a while until I can get to it, but will follow up with a post when I do.

Yes indeed it’s removable as it has tabs inserted into assembly. Removing is a delicate task, that could cause you to crack lens, at the tabs. Lens is made out of hard plastic. Ask me how I know(?), and I even had proper trim tools. All I’m stating is, be careful with process, and you can probably do better than I! Lol.

Latest posts