Removing Driver's Seat on '01 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Ford

Reaction score
I'm getting my '01 ready to sell so I can get a new '07. Only a few cosmetic things to take care of. The driver's seat has a distinct creaking sound from the interior of the seat when I get in and when I shift around. The seat isn't loose and it doesn't flop around, just the creaking sound. Something has gotten loose, a spring is broken, something. I can't see for sure how to remove the seat. I don't want to start taking out nuts and bolts without being sure what I'm doing. Is there a way to remove the seat without taking the lower structure out with it? Anyone got any ideas or specific knowledge? I'd rather not buy one of the books at this late date. Thanks.

Widewader

Cordova, Tennessee

it is only 4 bolts to remove the whole thing....

IF it is a power seat the creaking has been accepted as "normal".. What you do is just lift the seat a little or change the position slightly.. The noise should go away..'

Todd Z

Thanks Todd Z and STCTC. That sounds easy enough. The seat is a power seat. Where does the "un-bolting" take place? Under the seat or under the floor from outside? Doesn't look like there is a lot of room under there. I guess maybe you extend the seat all the way forward, unbolt and then all the way back, etc. etc. Not sure how adjusting is accomplished. It will probably be obvious when I get in there. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Is it a power seat?

To remove.. Under the little plastic covers on the floor are the bolts.. Slide the seat forward all the way, remove the backs, then slide back ad remove the fronts..

That is it..

IF IT is a power seat, just raise it a Little, change the setting slightly to put some tension on the moving parts, the noise will go away..

Todd z

Todd beat me to the punch. My power seat used to squeak to no end and I had it in for service on several occasions for repair. Before you remove the seat try raising the level of the seat itself with the power switch and see if your problem resolves itself.