Removing Fan Clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate B

Reaction score
I was wondering what the easiest way to remove the fan clutch was. Also, if any one knows off hand the size of the fan nut holding the fan to the water pump. I'm asking because I'm putting on an electric fan hopefully this weekend, and I wanted to know if I need any aditional tools before I start.

Thanks in advance.

Nate

I think the fan nut is about a 1.5". I had to buy a large crescent wrench from sears as I didn't have any wrenches large enough (biggest I own in 1.25). Many autoparts stores sell the wrench as well.

As for removal, remove the fan shroud, two 10-12 mm bolts on either side near the top, then loosen/remove the fan, clutch and fan are one piece, and remove the shroud and fan together. Not much to it. To replace put the fan in the shroud and put them in together as you removed.

Not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing is does the pulley have separate bolts holding it on??.. Some times the clutch holds the pulley to the water pump.

There is a huge wrench that is needed for this, and most are left hand thread...

they do sell a special wrench..

PLEASE let us know how this works, I my self have been thinking of going electric...

Thanks

Todd Z

The fan pulley remains attached. A flat bar or square-shafted screw driver is placed between the bolt heads on the pulley to hold it while turning the fan clutch 'nut' with a 36 mm or adjustable wrench. The nut is left handed, removed counterclockwise.

With the proper tools. One wrench goes onto the nut of the clutch fan. Then an even larger looking wrench goes over the outside of the 4 nuts on the pulley. This allows you to get good push pull leverage and not pry on the water pump shaft. Using a screw driver or a bar will put substantial pressure on the water pump shaft.

No the shaft will not break. But you may torque it enough to damage the seal or a bearing in the water pump....

Latest posts