Removing paint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Don't worry, it's not my Trac. Unfortunately, my wife got a little too close to the side of our garage yesterday and "rubbed" her brand new Honda Pilot down the side of it. It doesn't look dented at all or scratched too badly, but it picked up a large amount of paint from the doorframe she hit.

What's the best product you've used to take paint off of your truck without taking the paint off of your truck, if you know what I mean? Polishing compound?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can try polishing compound or try goof off or goop off. also i found simple green in a spray bottle takes alot of stuff off. also a wax and tar and bug remover might help also.

good luck and keep us posted on how you made out

paul:D

My wife does that about three times a year...

What everyone else said: just use some rubbing compound or scratch remover (scratchX), or a polish with a little grit. That and some elbow grease and it will come right off.

The only thing I can add is to polish the whole area with a good wax when done.

TJR

Try the most delicate stuff first and work your way up until something starts to take it off. I would start with car wax - cleaning wax - clay bar - buffing compound and then move up the scale on grits with the compound. I think the clay bar will get it.

I agree with Nelson OKC andTJR: Meguiar's Scratch X is what I would try. This stuff can perform miracles if used properly with lots of patience.

Just paint the car in primmer so every year that you wife runs into something, you just have to take out the paint and spray it !!!

3 times a year in primmer will be cheaper that buying wax and spending your time on it !!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the Scratch X tip. It worked like a charm.[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

It was fast. Maybe 15-20 minutes to do the whole thing.

I just used the Scratch X on one of those round wax applicator pads to buff it off, then a clean cotton towel to wipe it down afterward.

Latest posts