Removing Tailgate Plasic liner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to fixing the dent in my 03 ST tailgate, but ran into a snag. I removed the 6 screws in the plastic panel, but could not budge those 4 plastic snaps at the bottom edge of the panel. Is there some tool that would help me get those out (flathead screwdriver did not work)? Plus, when I was trying to pull away the panel at the top (where the screws were removed) to reach underneath, it really felt like there was something in the middle of the tailgate holding that panel in place.

Does anybody have any helpful ideas? I'd appreciate your suggestions!

PS: I did successfully replace one of the tail light bulbs using this very helpful web site! Thanks!!!!

:)

Grab the plastic at the bottom by the snaps and just yank.....

Todd Z

I tried to fix my dent too but found out tailgate is double-walled sheetmetal and I can't reach the dent so it's still there.

2004 XLT Sport Trac, also looking for the best way to remove the plastic tabs. I have to drive down to the junkyards at the MEX border and pull a tailgate apart so I can install my current (dented) tailgate locking mechanism into a "new" used tailgate, so the ignition key will work in the lock.

amazon, buy the tool.

can't find the tool on amazon. do you have a link or name of the tool? thanks.

Awesome, thanks.

Even better...

I bought the one I linked years ago and have used it MANY times. Ford uses "Christmas Tree" clips everywhere on my 2005. Given a choice I'll take METAL tools over plastic every time. YMMV

I linked this small parts source previously in case you missed it. High quality and a fraction of dealer prices or the aftermarket "HELP!" branded small parts from your local AP store. Individual part listings usually include Ford part numbers for cross reference with good illustrations..
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Clips_And_Fasteners_s/63.htm

2 long skinny flat tip screwdrivers would work too. The point is getting on 2 sides of the clip and lifting up. I have a set of interior clip plastic tools and they are very handy and strong. Regardless of the type of tool, the clips can be stubborn and brute force works well too.

I bought the one I linked years ago and have used it MANY times. Ford uses "Christmas Tree" clips everywhere on my 2005. Given a choice I'll take METAL tools over plastic every time. YMMV

I linked this small parts source previously in case you missed it. High quality and a fraction of dealer prices. Individual part listings usually include Ford part numbers for cross refererence with good illustrations..
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Clips_And_Fasteners_s/63.htm
Thank you. Metal tool looks good, Napa is close. Are these the clips? https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/GM-Ford-Chrysler-Retainer-p/a20332.htm

Latest posts