Repainting my step bars, where is that project?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach harrison

Reaction score
Getting some rust on my step bars and I want to repaint them. I know I saw a project in here last year, I think it was a ST in Hawaii? Any help would appreciated.

If not the project, then the paint suggested. I was given Dupli-color bumper paint at the autostore, however it comes in Gray and Charcoal and my steps are a shade right in between. Thanks again!

Thanks, though I'm not sure thats the project I saw. It was a maroon ST, and they painted the bars and the step pads. Either way, that Rustbullet has my attention.

AH ha, here it is. It was just the step painting, not the bars.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/StepPads/RR_StepPads.html

i repainted mine. they were really rusty. i even tried giving them away for free but no one took them so i decided to pain them with bumper guard. same stuff as bed liner.

-popped off the step pads using a screwdriver

-took them all apart. brackets and corner elbows

-using a wire wheel and a drill just go nuts. works great removing the rust on the bars and brackets

-primer all the parts

-put elbows back on

-paint using bumper guard. around 2 good coats.

-reinstall step pads and brackets on truck

They look 100x better then before even before the rust got to them.

Anyone have any suggestions on good matching colors/brands? I have dupli-color bumper paint but haven't started yet since they didn't have enough in stock.

Latest posts