Replacement Key?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently broke a key to my '02 ST. My wife called to check on getting it replaced, and was told it would cost $150!!!:angry: I realize the key has a chip in it, but this is absurd. Is this the normal cost of replacing a key? Last I checked, it was about $1.10 at Lowes. Any other, more cost effecient options for replacement keys out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the deal. If you had/Have two working keys it is MUCH cheaper. With two keys you can program a third key yourself. So you buy an uncut key off ebay for ten or so dollars. Get it cut, then program it using your two good keys.

With a single key it requires the replacement key to be programed via a computer that Ford has.

As a result, you pay full boat for the key, getting it cut, and the labor to program the key.

So once you do get two good keys buy a third from ebay and do it yourself. This way if you do lose or break a key in the future you will have two to do the job yourself at a much cheaper route...

They might have been quoting you the key plus reprogramming which is based on the labor rate. I bought an extra key from my local ford dealer for about $35.00 If you have 2 other programmed keys then you can program it yourself, otherwise you might be stuck

I had Rusty at FordPartsFast.com make me some extra keys great service and inexpensive.

Since I had my originals, I programmed them myself. I also bought extra remote fobs off of ebay for < $20.00

When I bought my '04 the dealer gave me three keys and two fobs with it. One of the keys was cut but not programmed (who knows why), but it is easy to program third keys and the fobs.

The crappy part about paying the dealer to program keys is that the process has a 10 minute delay built into it, so you pay the tech to sit around and wait. Other than that, the process is extremely labor un-intensive, but is an easy way for the dealer to make money.

I realize the key has a chip in it, but this is absurd.

I agree allthough, how absurd would it be to walk out to get in your truck and find out it is gone?

Read the owners manual. You could have make copies when the other key wasn't broken.

Tom

I bought a key off of ebay, had it cut and then had ford program it. much cheaper than having them do the whole bit. then I was able to program my third key.

james

I went back and bought a 3rd key at my dealer for $35 cut...then my salesman programed it for me, free...

It's absurd to even pay $35 for the chipped keys. The microchip in there is a .35 cent part. I know because we buy them all the time for our fleet vehicles.

Talk about markups!

I prefer my 'chipless' keys that I can have made at Wal-Mart for $1. Luckily, my Toyota and my '97 Explorer use the 'old but better' keys :)

I agree allthough, how absurd would it be to walk out to get in your truck and find out it is gone?

I've owned at least seven other vehicles, and they all came with the $1.00 style keys. I never came outside to find them gone, either. But if I had, I bet it would have had little to do with the absense of a $150 key.

Hey, as a matter of fact, those $1.00 keys never broke, either. :unsure:

doomer,

I lost one of my two original keys, and went through this process also. My solution was to find a local key shop that could program the key after cuting it for me. The guy behind the counter did not know how to run the computer to program it. He was by himself that day and got busy with several people coming in at the same time that I was there. I asked if I could try it after he had spent about 20 minutes on it. It was a no brainer on how to run the programmer. Was like going through the oil and air filter computer that they have at Walmart. Easy to follow instructions. My only guess was that he could not read above 2nd grade level!! Took me 1 to 2 minutes to program the key and hand him back the programmer. Cost was $25.

I just bought 2 keys for my ST off Ebay for $12 incl ship........

www.amazingkeys.com or ebay seller joefriday2

Got just about any key you need, typ less than 10 bucks........

I've owned at least seven other vehicles, and they all came with the $1.00 style keys. I never came outside to find them gone, either. But if I had, I bet it would have had little to do with the absense of a $150 key.

I have never had my house broken into, but that doesn't stop me from locking the door when I leave.

Tom

The guy behind the counter did not know how to run the computer to program it.My only guess was that he could not read above 2nd grade level!!

Well Mr jbeenemd,, what level education do you have???? PHD???? You ever thought the guy may not have been trained on the programmer? Maybe that was not one of his designated duties. I've been a locksmith for a few years and I'm not trained on a programmer. Does that make ME stupid? BTW, I'm getting a code machine next week,,, can you come teach me how to use it?

t's absurd to even pay $35 for the chipped keys. The microchip in there is a .35 cent part. I know because we buy them all the time for our fleet vehicles.

Darin, lets talk real world, no fleet management..... The everyday person can't buy chips and make keys. They have to go to a proffessional. Transponder keys cost ME 6-15$ for the standard ones and can cost up to 150$ for the big guys. Now add a 5000$ codeing machine, my time, my gas, and having to figure out a key code for the car, all this does cost money. Even if I had a shop, it still costs... $35 is cheap

Just a side note on Locksmiths: (from my website)

The experience and knowledge of a locksmith can range from virtually a lifetime, to someone who just finished a correspondence course. The reality is; If you're cheap, you don't have to be good at what you do, and if you're good at what you do, you don't have to be cheap.

When comparing prices, you'll find that rates will vary depending on whom you call. For example: Service charges can run anywhere from $35 to $75. The service charge is something that is often questioned by people calling a locksmith for the first time. Basically, a service charge is a charge that is designed to help cover the cost of being in business. While locksmithing may seem like a "low-overhead" business, let me tell you, for a business to be run professionally, there are a lot of "costs" involved that most people aren't aware of.

Some of the expenses involved in operating a professional locksmith business are insurance, bonding, government fees, classes, rent, gas & electric, telephones, pagers, cell phones, office supplies, tools, advertising, more insurance, professional association dues, gas, oil, vehicle maintenance, more insurance, trade publications, more classes, computer programs and updates, more tools, etc, etc, etc. The service charge better cover all this or you won't be in business very long. And remember, after all the business' bills are paid, you still need enough left to support a family.

LaRue: I don't argue your point about running a small business and needing to make a profit.

My point was more that chipped keys do not deter car thefts and only make it more expensive for the common consumer to get replacement keys for their vehicles.

My point was more that chipped keys do not deter car thefts and only make it more expensive for the common consumer to get replacement keys for their vehicles.

Can you prove it?

Tom

This is nuts. It seems like some folks are getting ruffled trying to defend Ford's charging $150 for a TRUCK KEY. Yer killing me. It cannot be justified no matter how hard you try. Sorry! (

Ok, I'll concede the supply and demand thing, and the ignorant sheeple paying up like lemmings thing.... but still...)

I'll not give in to such extortion. I spoke to a local locksmith whom I respect and trust and he gave me an excellent suggestion. Here it is for anyone interested:

Problem: Broken Key. Only one working good key left.

Solution:

1. Buy a spare chipped key (e-bay or local locksmith) for $15-$20. Have it cut to match your working key.

2. Have a plain cheap key cut. It will open the door but not operate the ignition. (no chip)

3. Take the broken key, and place the head of it against the plain cheap key head, (tape or whatever). We'll call this the "Ugly Key".

4. Now complete the 2 key programming technique using the original working key, and the ugly key to program your new chipped key.

5. Smile smuggly the next time you pass the Ford Dealership.

Total cost: about $25

Wish me luck! :p

Tom, I could do a google search and find articles to support my claim; you would just discount them saying they were simply 'writers pushing an agenda'... so why bother discussing it with you?

I could do a google search and find articles to support my claim

Please do.

You can not stop everyone from stealing your car. There was an episode on 20/20, or some other type of show like that, about how easy it is to steal a car. All one has to do is get the VIN and take it to a dealer that does not ask for ID. Tell you they lost thier key, but need one ASAP. The dealer cuts a key. They drive back to the car, insert the key, and drive away.

Try doing that with your Toyota, then try it with my Trac. Who gets whos car? I bet I win.

Tom