REPLACEMENT SPARK PLUGS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry watkins

Reaction score
MY SPORT TRAC IS STOCK. 116,000 MILES PROBABLY NEED TO REPLACE MY PLUGS. I DO SINCE A SLIGHT HESITATION AROUND 40 MILES PER HR. DOES IT DO THE ENGINE ANY HARM TO PUT BOSCH PLATINUM PLUGS OR ANY OTHER HOTTER (RING OF FIRE) IN?

Hi Jerry,

Most members that have tried other plugs had problems with them. I would sugest you stick with Motorcraft or Autolite plugs (OEM). I replaced my plugs around 95,000 with new Motorcraft plugs. I have been happy with them and have 117,000 on it now. (I also have an 01 ST)

Dave

I would check the condition of your plugs first. check for color( tan to light brown). If they have been burning rich(ie black) check into why first before changing heat range. You should keep to the stock heat range.

No, no harm will be done to the engine by using a different plug than OEM but... If you're better than 100K on original plugs, nevermind the 40mph range, then you won't know what hit you after installing new. Forget all the hyped plugs, the 4.0 seems to like the original Motorcraft best and should save you some $ besides.

Good luck...

Stick with the motorcraft platinums. They are designed for the exact heat range for our motors, unlike some others. Replace the wires also. Fords with DIS perform just as well with stock plugs for less $$ than custom ones..

Bosch Platinums have to be IMO the worst spark plugs ever produced. If I had a dollar for all the cars I fixed by taking them out and installing oem plugs...I'd have alot of dollars

motorcraft or autolights dude..... bosch is trash...

i used to sell them at advance auto and wouldnt reccomend them to anyone!

Bosch is a horrible plug for anything other than German vehicles. What I have always heard is FORD = Motorcraft/Autolite, CHRYSLER = Champion, GM = AC Delco, GERMAN/EUROPEAN = Bosch, JAPANESE/ASIAN = NGK/Denso.

Of all these brands of spark plugs and vehicles, BOSCH is the worst choice with the "American made" vehicles (Ford, GM, Chrysler). Depending on the condition of your old plugs, installing Bosch plugs in an American made vehicle can actually make it run worse than the old plugs.

I thought Honeywell Corporation made both of those spark plugs Motorcraft and Autolite...

I could be wrong...my wife tells me that alot anyway..:)

Check out my post about Bosche plugs.

I have Autolite Platnums in there now and couldn't be happier. The ST is running the best Ive seen since the day I bought it with 4200 miles on it.:D;)