replacing a warranted part twice question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that I read here that if you have to have something defective replaced while under warranty(in this case the peeling steering wheel) and your warranty runs out but the next one does the same thing, that they still must fix it for free? Am I dreaming or is this the case? Thanks

Most warranty repairs end when you hit the end of the regular warranty. However, you may want to contact the dealer to find out what kind of warranty they give on parts and labor. Especially if the steering wheel has been replaced in the last few months.

Most dealers will warrantee the OEM parts from 30-180 days depending upon what the part is. I have had several items that were replaced under the warranty that failed again shortly after the regular warranty ended. That may have been a courtesy by the dealer, but it never hurts to ask.

...Rich

I agree. Most dealers , and even aftermarket part suppliers will only warranty

a replaced part for 90 days, or 3,000 miles, on average. Still I would get back with

the dealer on this to see if they will do a courtesy replacement to keep a customer

satisfied. When I took my wife's trac to the dealer last week for the 3K checkup,

they ran the tsb's for me and said that they had one for "leather delamination

or peeling of leather wrap from steering wheel frame". I believe is the way it was

worded. Again I would double check with them.

I had the same thing happen to mine and I asked ahead of time and they said the second steering wheel if it too peeled wouldn't be covered. Sucks! So I went and covered it right away, and I'll take it off when I sell it. Glad I did it too because it gives a better grip and feeling being so thick with the cover.

I amc curoius about the steering wheel peeling problem that so many Sport Trac owners complain about. Some have had the wheel replaced only to have the replacement start to peel shortly after it was installed.

Since I am on my second Sport Trac and never encountered this problem, it makes me wonder as to what the cause is, and why some people have repeated problems while other do not have any problems. With an engine or transmission problem, or even repeated brake problems, it could depend upon individual driving habits. But a peeling steering wheel should not have any bearing on someone;s driving habits.

Is the problem limited to only one color interior? Both of my Sport Trac have had the Tan interior color and never had any problems with a pealing steering wheel.

Perhaps it's related to something in the individuals body chemistry and the persperation in their hands may be more or less acidic than the average person. Or perhaps some medication they take is secreated when they perspire and reacts with the dye or protective coatings on the steering wheel?

Just some food for thought :wacko:

...Rich

Rich, like you, I am on my second Trac. However, my new one, a 2003, started to peel at about 30,000 miles. It is tan in color. It peels where you always rest your hand from what I have gathered. Mine was peeling on the left side right where the bar comes together that travels left to right.

Rich, I had the exact same as Coastie, my 01 had tan, no prob, 03 tan, peeled within the first year under warranty, got a replacement and it was still in mint condition when I got rid of the truck when it was 2.5 years old. Mine peeled at the top of the wheel, it almost looked like a layer of latex was bubbling loose on mine. (I don't hold the wheel there)

The guys that have had this steering wheel peeling problem have admitted to be chronic users of Jerkins hand lotion. Not sure why. It seems the chemicals are causing the rubber of the steering wheel to break down. That's what I heard anyway.

:eek:

Latest posts