Replacing Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Branch

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a '01 ST, 88K miles, black. I bought it used about three years ago, I love it. It hauls my kids, dogs, dirt mulch, lumber ... I never want to own another truck. With the roll down rear window (I can't understand why every truck doesn't do this) I have hauled 16' lumber home (very short distance mind you). I love it.

I just baught 16" alloy wheels from DJ (told me abou the site) and mounted Michelins tires. Great improvement. I have been reading several old posts here about how you guys think new shocks make a great improvement on the ST ride. I am considereing this and was wondering if this is something I could do myself. I have never done much mechanics on my cars, other than changing oil, but I am very much a do it yourselfer around the house. Are special tools required? How difficult is it? Is it worth the $'s I might save?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

By the way, I am from Auburn, Alabama, hence the War Eagle alias. I am very much looking forward to the upcomming season. Any of you guys big college footbal fans?

Meet up with jeff C he is from Ala, He could install for you... :lol:

The shocks at 88K may be rusted and the bolts a pain to get off.. The job it self is not that hard, But requires basic knowledge of stuck and frozen bolts, and shock installs... IT is not rocket science, BUT could be costly if it gets messed up...

Also of times ,sears offers free installation or 10 dollar install... May want to look into that..

BUT definitely change them..

Todd Z

It's not very difficult at all. See the project linked below for details. After reviewing this project, if you think it's beyond your reach, then as Todd Z said, look up Jeff C for help or shop around for a good deal on installation.

I just installed Rancho RSX shocks on the rear last night and put the shackles on. Took me a little less than 3 hours from beginning to end. Definitly drop the spare and the breather box. Looking at it now, I dont know how people did it without doing both. Highly reccommend a 13mm ratchet wrentch as well for the top nuts. Other than that, its pretty straight forward. Tackling the front shocks and doing the TT tonight...

Im changing mine soon and from the looks of it and what Ive read the fronts like easy and the rears look easy as well once you get the spare out of the way. If I were you Id make it a Saturday project and take your time on it and you'll do just fine.

By the way Im a HUGE South Carolina fan (hence my nickname) and cant wait till our first game on Sept. 1. We also play at Auburn this year (Oct. 1) which should be a great game!!! Go SEC!!!

Thanks everyone. I have actually moved to Atlanta three years ago, els I would look up Jeff C and tell him you guys told me to.

Gamecockfan04, do you travel to the games? I am at every game, begin tailgating on friday. If you make the trip let me know, I would be glad to offer some AU hospitality and invite you to join us. I know it tough to tailgate on the road.

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to more conversation in the future. I'll post some pictures soon.

I have always purchased shocks from Sears when they run the special. You have a choice, buy two shocks get two free or buy four shocks and get free installation. Call Sears and ask when the next sale will be.

I just got Sensa-Trac's from Sears on Saturday , not on sale , They were $44.95 each. right now they are offering free installation & Monroe has a $25.00 rebate. I think those deals end on 8/20.

I started out looking for Reflex or Rancho's but no Sears stores that I called keep them in stock , and they do not offer any deals if they need to special order them. The Sensa tracs seem good I dont take it offroad so its really all I need.

Jim

Aren't the Monroe Sensa-Tracs identical to the Rancho RS5000, Just like the Monroe Reflex and Rancho RSX are the same shock?

Got the front shocks put on last night. No need to remove the tires, just turn them hard to the right for the left side, vice versa. Id say the fronts were easier than the back... Ride is unbelievable, just like everyone else has said. Its like driving a different truck! Very pleased. Body lift is this weekend :unsure:

Latest posts