Replacing Stock head unit in a 2002 Sport trac Pioneer Edition.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave McKie

Reaction score
I just posted this on the Explorer Forum and I will try here to get some expert opinions

I received a Sony XAV-60 dvd head unit from Santa and I'm going to TRY to install once the weather warms up a bit.

So I'm looking for some advice

My sport trac is a pioneer edition, it was a limited edition model.

Pioneer cd+ tape head unit with amps set up for the door speakers( I think ),3 way speakers and the 8 inch sub under the rear drivers side seat and rear stereo controls (which I know will not function after I upgrade the new HU without getting some kind of adapter for the 20 pin plug) It also had the rear window deflector standard and the word Pioneer across it. only came in Zinc Yellow.

Does any one know if you can install an after market head unit in this model and still use the factory amp/sup and speakers?

Thanks All

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried it before but i believe you will have to splice the factory amp/sub wires into the new headunit.

there are two sets of wires with two plugs. one is for all your speakers, ground terminal, battery, antenna, etc. and the other set is for the amp and sub.

the stock headunit has two sockets for the plugs.

the aftermarket headunit will only have one, well maybe, you migth have more since its a dvd. if im not mistaken my info is correct from the little i know, i was also told you will need an RC adapter or somethign like that.

hopefully this helped a bit.

Can you take a photo of what type/types of harnesses connect to the Pioneer headunit? If I can see that, I can tell you what you need.

My initial thought is that you should have two harnesses--one larger (I think) 16 pin, and one smaller (I think) 8 pin. The 16 pin controls everything but the sub and amp, and the 8 pin controls the sub. These harnesses were on the Premium and Pioneer Sport Tracs (the ones with a separate amp/sub), whereas the single harness was used on a base model Sport Trac (the ones with only four door speakers).

If that is the case, using this--

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705517/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

[Broken External Image]:

you easily can connect to the factory wiring without cutting/splicing the factory harness. Instead, splice the aftermarket harness to the new headunit's wiring, solder the connections, add some shrink tubing, and you're good to go. Simply plug into the factory wiring.

One additional note: because the new headunit uses a 12v amp-on power supply but the stock head unit uses a 5v amp-on power supply, you will need to add a 5v resistor on to the Crutchfield harness. Without it, your sub will pop every time you power on the unit due to the higher voltage. You can get the transistor at Radio Shack (part no. 7805A). Below is a diagram I made many moons ago when I installed my navigation unit. It should help. Note that your harness probably only has one light blue (power-on) wire, as opposed to mine, which had two. The other wire on your harness looks like a black ground. So--don't connect them together like I did!

[Broken External Image]:

Hi Guy's thanks for the response, I'm glad this is doable without to may headaches.

I have enjoyed this stereo but, would be nice to have the ability to hook up an aux input, and also have Video and to step into the future.

So I'm trying to change my pioneer to a Sony Sport Trac...

Like I said trying, I still can take this Sony HU back for a refund and just stick with the factory system but I would like to get this working at the least cost and headache.

From what I'm reading is that this my not be that cut and dry.

That this is a premium ford audiophile system and connecting to the factory amp is not that simple.

Here's the write up on the truck. I don't think it's all that different than most premium systems installed in fords.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Car-Audio-Video/Ford+Launches+Limited+Edition+Vehicles+With+Pioneer+Branded+Audio+Systems+For+Music+Enthusiasts

I'm trying to connect the new head unit to the existing amp, sub and speakers.

I hope this will work, I haven't installed a stereo for a long time so I'm a noob when it comes to car audio systems and and lucky me I picked this one to play with. There's not much information online about this particular system so I'm looking for some advice.

My first step was to pulled the factory deck out to see the wiring harness. It was an easy to do,but friggin cold it was -25 c in a unheated garage late at night with a flashlight in my mouth....I felt like a car thief LOL

I just removed the two screws and pulled the HU out along with the bezel and unplugged 3 plugs from the Pioneer HU.

[Broken External Image]:

This left me with a

J1 Plug 16 Pin ( main stereo plug )

J2 Plug 8 Pin (Amp plug)

J3 plug 20 Pin ( rear stereo controls and steering wheel controls among other things)

I hope I'm correct with the description of the plugs and usage.

From what I've come up with is that the 20 pin plug will not be used, I will will lose the use of the rear controls but that something I can live with.

So I guess this is left unplugged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I found this diagram that is supposed to be for a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, I haven't been able to find any thing for a 2002 premium audiophile Sport Trac So I'm not sure if this a correct diagram for it so don't take my word for it

[Broken External Image]:

This is what the Pioneer deck removed looked like

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

So i went ahead and cut the upper and lower bezel trim pieces which was very well documented on other posts. ( Thanks) The paint was peeling from the bezel and I need to paint it anyways so at least something good comes from this.

You could just push with your finger and rub off the factory paint

if they were to properly prep the plastic this wouldn't happen.

I then sanded with 180 gt and then primed twice with sanding in between coats with 800 gt wet sand paper. I'm thinking of painting it High gloss black ( Thinking ) the original color was textured silver rubber paint.

[Broken External Image]:

This is the what it should look like when I'm all done....( I'm hoping )

[Broken External Image]:

For a face plate and from what I seen the Metra 95-5600 this one seems to fit the best for my application. ( Any ideas )

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...Enjoopfxnt6KUQ

I went to my local car installer in Edmonton which is one of the more reputable and largest in the city. I brought in the old Pioneer HU so I could get the correct factory plug connector. I was sold a Metra 70-5519 Ford amplifier interface harness 1998-08 for $43.00 cad ouch.

said my truck would not fit a double din...That's half of the problem if it's not in there books they have know idea what to look for. They also didn't have a face plate in stock either the guy brought out a single din and said that's what in the book. They better not loose that book other wise they would be lost...lol

[Broken External Image]:

One of the questions I have is this harness has two RCA plugs and from the other posts I've seen they use one RCA for the sub sub input.

Do i connect 1 RCA to the sub and with a splitter connect the other to the front speakers inputs. ?

My new HU has Front audio out, rear Audio out and sub out that were it get confusing.

How would I connect these.

Thanks All

You are correct with the plugs. I forgot about the rear radio controls. Ford removed them in 2004.

As for the mounting kit/face plate, I went with Scosche because their HU surround is less "chunky" and allows the HU to sit a little bit deeper in the bezel opening. I painted mine to match the factory bezel. I also used the factory track plate (the thing that slides on the bar in the bezel opening).

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/43

[Broken External Image]:

[As an aside, I did a how-to on an install like this, but I cannot locate the post here. I think it has something to do with the search feature going back only 730 days, and the archive starting in 2006. As such, certain posts are not searchable.]

I think the installer gave you the wrong harness. Metra's web site recommends the 70-5517 kit.

aee2c8e323aa7b71020bb230e7a8a233.jpg

http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5517

As you'll note, this kit is identical to the one Crutchfield recommends. And, it'll solve your one versus two RCA's issue.

Thanks Adam,

From all the pics I've seen you have one of the cleanest installs, looks great. Painting the trim makes it blend in well.

My original thought was Ford used the amplifier to drive the Sub and front speakers and that why they gave me the 2 x Rca 8 pin amp plug.

If I went with the 70-5517 adapter from the picture:

I would plug the rca into the sub out of the HU

Blue would be amp power

Black to amp ground

Just my guess ?

The way they installed the factory amp was behind the driver side back seat and the sub was under the driver side rear seat.

When you try to fold the driver side bk seat down, it won't fold because of the factory sub box under the seat. Not the smartest way,but they had to install it some way a guess.

I think I will order the harness adapter and face plate you recommended online because I would save a few bucks. I just need to find a place that ships to Canada...

Thanks for your help

You do raise a good question:

My original thought was Ford used the amplifier to drive the Sub and front speakers and that why they gave me the 2 x Rca 8 pin amp plug.

If I went with the 70-5517 adapter from the picture:

I would plug the rca into the sub out of the HU

Blue would be amp power

Black to amp ground

Just my guess ?

Perhaps the Pioneer system is wired differently? You might want to trace wires. I'm a little less certain on harness now. I seem to recall folks having issues with the Adrenalin systems in newer Sport Tracs; specifically, issues exist with using harnesses on the separate amp and sub.

After comparing the 70-5519 metra harness that I have with the factory plug the On the factory plug 5 pins are not used but on the metra harness 2 pin are missing and at a different placement. Hmmmmm

They definitely don't match. One thing I noticed that with the after market harness and HU the speakers color correspond Grey+ Grey Black- & White+ white black- and so on but the factory wiring has no rhyme or reason, you would think the factory harness would kinda be the same.

I think I will have to locate a factory wiring diagram somewhere and do some more research.

Thanks for the help

Adam

What color is the factory color for the bezel that you used when repainting? Mine needs a repaint too (as does the console cup holder).

Thanks

David

I am in the same boat as dosman. I want to replace, or at least troubleshoot some intermittent display lights on the factory installed HU. I can't even get the thing out, tried

using 4 small screwdrivers and pieces of coathangar as a substitute for Ford DDin removal tools. How did you get yours out, dosman? You wrote above that you "just removed two screws"- what about the 4 double din holes on the HU faceplate? Are those not engaged?

Where are the screws you removed?

Also, did you ever get the wiring harness to match up with an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks for any help.

Gerry

I unscrewed the two screws and then carefully pull the radio bezel out. The stereo will come out with the bezel, from there you can reach behind and push the two tabs in, one on each side, that will release the headunit. That's one way I was able to get the factory headunit out without using double din removal tools.

Latest posts