resonated tip ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Currently I have a flowmaster 40 single in/out and have removed the resonator. I have the y-pipe coming along with the high flo Cat. I don't have a tip on my stock pipe. But i might as well finish off the exhaust with a little chrome in my opinion. Now for the Questions. What would a resonated & larger diameter exhaust tip do for my exhaust sound quality compared to a regular tip? Just amplify the noise or would it aid in getting more rumble? In ur opinion is it really worth the extra $?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is resonated with enough packing, it can tone it down some. Non resonated large diameter will amplify. Which ever way you go, use a polished stainless steel tip. Chrome will rust and peel.

I have a set of Hooker stainless resonated tips. They knocked the loudness down compared to the non-resonated chrome tips they replaced. The diameter on the Hooker tips isn't too large.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Like most I am constantly striving to replicate a v8 as best I can. Yes yes I know... it'll never be exact. But I like it loud! So it looks like a larger diameter nonresonated tip is what you are suggesting. Unless of resonated tip produces a deeper tone/rumble... which should be my last question. Does it?