Rest Easy Trac Friends

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Well I did some calculating and realized that I am only 6 months away from having the trac paid off, and I found 2 carpool buddies! I'm not going to trade the trac for the subaru, so you can all be relieved now :) I'm buying the XCal II next week because my odo is waaaay off because of the big tires. I did my normal route this week, which would normally use a whole tank, and still have half a tank left, so something's up. Hopefully the tune and a new exhaust will help my MPG woes- otherwise I'll be forced to go to the dark side.

Thanks for all your input everybody!

-Heather in OC

I just ordered an XCal II; planning to use 87 oct economy tune for everyday driving. For the 42K miles I've had my '04, average economy is right at 18 mpg. If new tune gets me 21 mpg then I'll save about $1300 in fuel cost over the next 60K miles wtih gas at $2.75. That's a gamble I'm willing to take. At $3.00 per gal, savings would be over $1400. At $3.00 and 22 mpg, savings over $1800.

Bill and Heather. Let me know how that turns out. If gas goes any higher then I think I will spring for the XCal myself. Currently getting between 16-17 mpg with all in-town and a lot of stop and go driving which ain't bad but if I can increase it to 19-20 then it would pay for itself in a year easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it Heather. I've been light on the gas since I'm breaking in the replacement tranny I just got and I averaged over 18mpg (city/highway) on my last tank. Before then, I was averaging over 16mpg. So lots of it does have to do with driving habits. I also just flashed to 87 octane performance tune with my XCal2 and I'm eager to find out what kind of mileage I get driving in this disciplined manner.