Rev Too High Code? CODE #1270 - Update.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well I took advice, and had the mechanic take my truck for a spin for 1hr I said id even pay him for it, just to show him it happens after driving it.

None the less. He says it didnt stall, lol... F'in amazing.

Anyways, he said the only thing he seen was a code saying " REV TOO HIGH " not those exact words, but thats what he said.

Whats that all about? Shesh. My XCal Brings Nothing Up.

He has agreed for me to go drive it around till it starts acting up, come to his shop and pick him up and we will see if we can get some info from his computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways, he said the only thing he seen was a code saying " REV TOO HIGH " not those exact words, but thats what he said

You did not ask for the exact code...or the proper wording ??? Seriously we cant help if you don't have all the correct info...

Todd Z

I did, he said Rev too high.

He didnt give me the code, but wouldnt my Xcal2 tell me? The only code I see on there in the past 2 wks is P1000, which is prolly cause im resetting my battery every 10 mins.

I didnt pay anything for this.

XST, I have a link to the codes in my library. I looked through them and none are worded that way. Interesting enough, there are codes for if you drive your vehicle in a mannor that makes the "rev limiter" kick in.:wacko: I also seen ones for the EGR valve giving different readings and also the VSS type. They are there for your use if you'd like.;)

FIRST you said....

REV TOO HIGH " not those exact words, but thats what he said.

NOW you say

I did, he said Rev too high

SO which one is it ????

REV TOO HIGH is what he said.

EDIT: I searched the Codes for Fords, I dont see ANY of them saying the Word REV, or ever TOO HIGH.

I will see if he can recall what the code was.

This is exactly why I dont take my truck to mechanics when I can help it. It didnt stall for him, but every time I or anyone I know is in the car, it does.

Why doesnt my XCal pickup this code?

Your x cal may not pick up "stored or Soft codes" It may only pick them up if the CEL is on..

I don't know, but ford computers are weird some times...

Todd Z

P1270 Engine RPM or Vehicle Speed Limiter Reached

Thats what it is:

P1270 - Engine RPM/Vehicle Speed Limiter Indicates the vehicle has been operated in a manner which caused the engine or vehicle to exceed a calibration limit. The engine rpm and vehicle speed are continuously monitored by the PCM. The DTC is set when the rpm or speed fall out of calibrated range. For additional information on the engine rpm/vehicle speed limiter, refer to Section 1, Electronic Engine Control (EC) System , Powertrain Control Software. Wheel slippage (water, ice, mud and snow)

Excessive engine rpm in Neutral

Vehicle drive at a high rate of speed

The DTC indicates the vehicle has been operated in a manner which caused the engine or vehicle speed to exceed a calibrated limit.

XST, the X-Cal may not pick up all codes, or may pick only the ones that will trigger a CEL. I think there are some codes that get stored that don't trigger a CEL. I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

The only thing I can say is, try to find a mechanic that will (on your dime of course) ride with you till it does. (I know this is really reaching but I know a few around here that would if you asked them) If it takes 5 hours, so be it. It could be your driving style that is triggering it. (Not to say you have a bad driving style.:)) They may be only driving it a short way (which is more likely and saying they are driving it for a long period of time) and driving it like it was made of egg shells. I know, like I said, it will be hard to find one that will probably take the time to just ride around. But may be your only option.;)

Stone, hes letting me go drive around, get it acting up, then hes gunna hop in when I get to his shop and we will see what happens.

I have no idea what the code is from, could be from when I had the xcal installed maybe, and I reved it a couple times to make sure the speed limiter was off, but just so it was over 3000, not a 6k rev.

1270 is a SOFT code, IT does not throw the CEL.... BUT if not cleared and FORD scans the computer and finds that, they will say you exceeded the speed limits and drove it in an unsafe manner and beat the heck out of it..

Todd Z

Todd, Of course I did, Lol.

I dont drive it like hell, I do drive it fast at times, but nothign CRAZY.

I am allowed to drive it however I want, doesnt mean I cant pay someone to fix it, does it?

I Could see them saying somethign if I was going for some kinda warranty service or whatever. But this code is basically irrellevant to anything im having an issue with.

PS: I know you're not pointing a finger or anything, im just blabbing. Im at a very high frustration level the past couple days. Lol.