Roll Control Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark B

Reaction score
Since the government is looking to make electronic roll/stability control systems mandatory by 2012, I'm wondering how they work with manual transmissions?

As I understand, the system acts, on it's own, to apply brakes and control engine speed in order to keep the car upright. That's a good thing but, say, I'm in 5th gear and the stability system acts to slow the vehicle. What keeps the engine from lugging or stalling in gear?

Just curious. Do the systems rely on the driver to hit the clutch and then match gear to speed (while the car may be whipping around)? Are real manual trannies doomed by 2012? Or maybe, I just overestimate the amount of independent action these systems can take.

Anybody know the deal?

Are real manual trannies doomed by 2012

The way things are going, yes.

It is going a little over the top with all the crap that is mandatory now, tire pressure guages, roll-control, I heard something about rear-view cameras possibly becoming mandatory. (link below) Just more crap to throw warning lights that will need to be repaired when it breaks down. Maybe people just need to learn how to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
With manual transmissions, the engine output control is backed off and the independent wheel control upped. Since the vehicle stays running based on clutch control of the driver at certain RPMs, the system can only cut engine power (via the computer controlled injectors/throttle body) so much; so the brakes will be used more to control the vehicle.

Either way, it won't take long for tuners to figure out a way to turn it off. While they may help the average driver in some situations, on sports cars, they do little more then slow the vehicle down without driver input.