Roof Basket/Roof Rack/ Suggestion for 05

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHarvey

2005 XLT Adrenaline
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I want to add a Roof Rack/Basket to my 05 Adrenaline. I see quite a few “universal” options that “fit your vehicle” on eBay and Amazon. When I read reviews there are almost always modifications needed and “fit and fiddle” needed. Does anyone have suggestions on a brand of roof rack/basket that works well with my 05?
Thanks !!

Attachments

• 9D6355B5-FCD2-4C4C-88FA-EF2CC9BC3991.png
    9D6355B5-FCD2-4C4C-88FA-EF2CC9BC3991.png
    341.4 KB · Views: 54
i got mine on amazon and the mount and cross bars, and has worked great, got a spare tire mount and added for spare, the reason i got it was to put spare rim and tire as 33x12.5 would only fit in bed. it has been 4 years and no issues. mounted right on roof bars. i stand on top to take wheel off and no issues with strength from roof nor basket. i can look up items if your interested but all was done for 150 ish..

i will try and put better pics on here.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 39
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 39
i added them, they were cheap but work great, i found the basket on amazon but it has doubled in price, it is 219. i paid less then a hundred for it 4 plus years ago..i will see if i can ad a pick and the review i did after buying it, it was easy to add lights front and rear, the front bar i had to find a mount that would work, i did not want to mount any thing on truck, it was a mount for toyota truck. but the rack is durable and i drilled holes for lights and mounts.

Attachments

• 20220514_185653 (1).jpg
    20220514_185653 (1).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220514_185849.jpg
    20220514_185849.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 43
the other part i like is that i can take rack off and i unplug the lights and you can not tell i had it mounted, i wax top once a year and put back on,,but no rub marks or anything other then dirt as rack does not touch truck.

the lift is a 4inch super lift, i wanted a bolt on in case i wanted to go back stock, i have stock wheels that i put on for long road trips, i love the clearance i have but wanting to repaint trac and go with a smaller tires. it was white and went grey now i want a different look.i like the darker blue that toyota has but not sure how it would look on trac, the lift and tires i have are amazing off road and on, but getting older and not racing quads any more so looking to go with a milder set up. love my trac so want to keep it. going to ask the trackers on here what color to do. want to make it look new, if i was going to do all over i would do a body lift and get a little more aggressive tire and clearance. way cheaper and retain the stock ride, it was a battle for years to get the right set up and very very pricey.

I use the Surco Safari 45x50 with the Surco clamps. Holds a spare stock wheel/tire easily, and holds an old Sears X-cargo perfectly. (Not at the same time :) ) It is tough as nails and looks good. I stupidly took out my garage door with a wheel up top, and the rack did not slide, bend, or otherwise care. I saw where some guys fabricate a wind deflector for it, but I moved mine back a few inches and it quieted down considerably as-is.

I use the Surco Safari 45x50 with the Surco clamps. Holds a spare stock wheel/tire easily, and holds an old Sears X-cargo perfectly. (Not at the same time :) ) It is tough as nails and looks good. I stupidly took out my garage door with a wheel up top, and the rack did not slide, bend, or otherwise care. I saw where some guys fabricate a wind deflector for it, but I moved mine back a few inches and it quieted down considerably as-is.

Attachments

• 20220515_081754.jpg
    20220515_081754.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220515_081744.jpg
    20220515_081744.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 39
How did you run the wires for the lights? I want to paint the stock rails on the roof? Do The the nuts stay in place when you remove the two stock rails or do I need to remove the headliner ?

on my set up i have wires ran thru door molding, i heated up wires and flattened them and in four years plus i have had no leaks and no issues, there leds so ran small wires as no heavy load, and you put crossbars on your stock roof rails and basket attaches to cross rails, nothing touches my roof or truck,except wires. everything lifts off with 4 clamps from cross rails and 2 wire couplers. my tire is mounted on a clamp on spare tire attached to basket.

Ok thanks, it goes against everything I’ve learned as a mechanic of 43 plus years but I’ll try it. I’m doing pretty much the same each setup as yours. I want to paint the oem roof bars first. Do you know if the nuts are inside or are they the rivet type nuts ?

Ok thanks, it goes against everything I’ve learned as a mechanic of 43 plus years but I’ll try it. I’m doing pretty much the same each setup as yours. I want to paint the oem roof bars first. Do you know if the nuts are inside or are they the rivet type nuts ?

The nuts the factory roof bars are screwed into are rivet nuts (Nutserts).

sorry carl might of not explained it right but the wires that came with light bar kit has a hard plastic cover and i needed it to lay flat to go over the rubber door frame rubber seal, as i shut the door it smashes the wires flat on the thick door jam rubber, it worked with out leaking but wanted it to lay flat as possible so heated it up with heat gun and i shaped it to lay flat, i tested with a hose with sprayer jetting down on it and no leaks and 4 years later no leaks, only issue i had before heating up and flattening was door was hard to shut but after flattening it shuts no problem basically rubber smashing rubber and it worked. i did not want holes or i would of drilled thru roof. hope that explains better..

if you like the lower look you can mount bars on top of basket as i did and it gives me over a inch of clearance and looks to me way more sleeker, i mounted mine as normal and it sat high, it changed the look quite a bit. not sure if yours will let you but nice find.. kind of like your shell if i remembered ya got lucky and got it right after your truck.

Yeah I was thinking about that lower profile set up too. I met the guy first thing this morning in a public parking lot and we literally pulled it out of the bed of his F250 and threw it up on the roof of my Trac tightened it down in away I went. I’ll probably reconfigure it and try your set up to see if I like it better.

And yes good memory, I got my truck and shell on the same day, 5 miles apart, and the colors matched!!! Super Lucky !!!

Thanks for all of your input and info. I’m going to try them all out, I just hope the if I run the wire by the way of the door jam that I won’t get any air leaks. My truck all ready sounds like crap at highway speeds
I think I’ll try mounting the basket sitting low, I’ve been thinking that it would look funny being up to high