roof racks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what others have done for roof/cargo racks and the cost involved. I am specifically interested in a set up to haul a canoe and/or kayak. It sounds like the crossbars made to fit the stock roof racks are not that strong. One of my canoes is a very heavy homemade fiberglass over wood. When I deciced to buy an ST I originally thought I would just give up on hauling a canoe and would swap trucks with my dad if I wanted to take a canoe trip but now I am thinking maybe I will try to set the ST up for it.

firedog, I have the yakima towers and bar set-up. The whole thing cost me (w/fairing) around $200. It frequently put my canoe and kayaks up there with no problems. The Yakima site says the weight limit is 165 lbs because of the factory roof rack system. I don't think my canoe or kayaks (conbined) reaches this weight, but then again, I think this is the "safe" weight with a little extra safety. It really depends on what your conoe weighs. IMHO, if you can lift it over your head onto your roof, then the system will hold it with no problem.

I don't have any pictures of my conoe or kayaks up there, but here's a picture of my yakima roof system.

[Broken External Image]:

I'm not sure what my heavy canoe weighs but probably not over the 165lbs. I see a lot of the Yakima racks on ebay but am not sure which ones will fit the ST. Im gonna see if I can get some info from their website to compare with the ones on ebay. If I get no where there I will probably just buy new ones.

i also have yakima you need lowrider brackets for the factory rails i like Q's idea

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: