rough idling focus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cook

Reaction score
Everyone has been pretty helpful with my past posts...hopefully, some of you gearheads can help me with this one. I bought a 2001 Ford Focus for the step daughter and it ran great when we took it off the lot but has suddenly developed a really rough idle. I replaced the plugs...they appeared good. The wires look good...in fact everything looks good! At idle the car vibrates violently enough that it just rattles everything....like a kid with a big audio system rattling his license plate! I don't get it...the car pulls strong but just rattles apart at idle.

These cars are notorious for bad motor mounts, I probably replace a set of mounts at least once a month for this exact same reason...a bit of advice though...get the mounts from Ford

Check the motor mounts. One is visilbe on the left of the motor, the right side is under the air box I believe. If the motor mounts fail, the focus will shake like no other.

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll check that out as soon as I can get a few moments that the kid actually stays home for more than 2 minutes.

Latest posts