rough riding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
noticed in the last couple weeks, the ST feels quite rough going down the road. Hard to explain, but almost like I'm riding on an old lumber wagon with wood wheels. Get kind a pop once in awhile too, maybe when pulling into a driveway. Can't really tell if its front or back, kind of seems all over. any ideas?

Only way to diagnose is lifting the wheels off the ground and inspecting.

Your profile shows 05 Trac V6. How many miles on it? I agree with swshawaii - you need to get it off the ground, pull the road wheels and have a gander. The Usual Suspects are ball joints, shocks, sway bar bushings/end links, steering rack tie links. Your mileage may vary, but an 8 year old car @ 12K miles a year = 100K miles. None of the previous items mentioned are out of bounds for the average DIYer; there are ample videos on YouTube to help you. After you've done the repairs, have the front end aligned. You'll be very pleased with the results.

How cold has it been there? For awhile up here in the Great White North, one of my shocks seemed to have frozen. Took having 3 guys in it on a road trip to pick up a newly acquired trailer to "break" it free. Odd thing is is that it was not that cold. Same thing happened to my full size Bronco a number of year ago. It sure gives a strange ride, btw. They are newer Rancho 5000s all around!

been near single digits. I actually thought that when it first started happening. I figured it was just soooo cold, everything was just stiff and froze and rough, including the roads. Maybe I was on to something?

If you've still got the original shocks, a new set will be a big improvement. Lots of postings here on what the faves are. Fronts are easy to replace, rears not so much - especially LR as I recall. KYB has a lifetime guarantee; the set I put on my 02 are still in great shape at 110K. I'd still get the car up for an inspect though. You could have some other bits that need replacement.

Yikes! Freeport- if you have OEM shocks, you need to change them! Seriously!. However, do not go to the dealer for new shocks. Not only will they put yet another crappy set of Ford shocks on your truck, but they will charge you like you are a red-headed stepchild. Better to go to an independent garage or a chain like even Sears. Get some good Monroe or Ryder shocks, save a bunch of money, and get some GOOD shocks. Please don't go to the dealer for new shocks! That almost makes me want to cry.