Rough starts/ Rough idling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cook

Reaction score
I've owned my sport trac since new in 03 and have occasionally had instances where the engine wouldn't fire up imediately upon turning the key. It kind of reminded me of my old carberated vehicle days...car wanting to load up with the sweet smell of money leaving my tailpipes as soon as it did fire. I haven't worried about it too much considering it happened so seldom (and usually when it's raining real good). Now, I think I've got a problem. Wet or dry, startups have been really rough lately. It has rained here but I think things shouldve dried out under my hood after a 400 plus mile round trip to Pittsburgh and back on a dry day. I even noticed after my trip that it has begun to idle roughly and even seemed to want to stall a few times when I am sitting still at a light/stop sign. Any similar experiences? What do I need to do to solve this annoyance?

Jim, We need to know your mileage, and maintenance, such as fuel filter, air filter, cleaning the IAC, cleaning the MAF, tune up, plugs wires, things like that..

Thanks

Todd Z

Sorry Todd...I could've included a little more info.

84,000 miles

regular oil changes 3-5k

new air filter at last oil change (@2 weeks ago)

plugs and wires good at last check (also last oil change)

I don't know anything about cleaning the IAC or MAF...honestly I don't even know where to find those items or how to properly clean them. I guess those are the questions I should be asking since I think that everything else is in good shape...and the bulk of my problem comes when there is rain involved. I'm just kind of frustrated with the thing and don't have the money to let someone else look at it.

Thanks Todd for asking me those questions! As soon as you brought those terms to my attention I was able to look up the information I needed on cleaning them and will do so when i get the tools that I need. I will repost after I've completed the cleaning and allow the computer to reset. LOL! Sucks not knowing what I'm looking at under the hood these days!

If the problem seems to be related to dampness, then the 1st thing I would try is the wires. At your mileage, you are due anyway... Probably due for plugs too. Not sure how both were checked, but both are due at 100,000 anyway (and probably should be changed before that). After that, since it seems to be more constant now, cleaning the IAC would be my next thing. I've cleaned mine twice due to the idle getting rough...it's easy to clean and solved my problem both times.

After those 2 or 3 things, I would also continue on with what Todd said. Do the easier and more common things 1st, and then go on from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool. Thanks for the advice. I just printed out all the step by step instructions on how to clean MAF and IAC...just gotta look for some good electronics cleaner/denatured alcohol and I'll repost my results. Thanks again

jimbo- The CRC QD Electronic Cleaner is amazing stuff. The designation is "quick dry" and leaves no residual film or oily deposits. Used this aerosol for years on every elecrtric contact imaginable. I am NOT a self proclaimed E-tech, but swear by this spray.

I've used CRC QDEC on home audio equipment such as Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Krell, McIntosh, etc. Use sparingly and follow instuctions. Fantastic stuff.

Found at NAPA or other specialty stores. Inexpensive compared to "Cramolin" I had used for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts