Rounder off bolt head

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was changing my alternator and rounded off the head of one of the bolts on the bottom. Can somebody tell me how to get the bolt out.

Use good tools to start with. I really like Metrinch tools. By far, my favorite.

As Jim D said, Irwin makes a socket that works like an "easy out". Never needed them, but I do own a set.

I get freaked out when I am trying to loosen that wimpy bolt on some non-domestic cars.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a grade 8 bolt, Also where on the bottom, the 3 bolts holding it in are 13mm heads...and they face up..

Todd Z

There is no room to turn vice grips. Can I jus drill out the bolt head and remove the alternator? then getting the rest of the bolt out might e easier. Or can I cut the head off the bolt? how do I do it?

If there is simply no room, but,,, and this is an important BUT,,, , if the head was removed would there be room for the bracket to slip over the stub of the bolt????

If so, then grind the head off or cut it off if there is room and then slip the bracket off the stub. Then you will have room for vise grips.

The link that Tom supplied is a Link to a toll that will do what you need as well almost every time,,, the tighter you turn to the left, the more they want to grip..

Yes, you can cut the bolt head off and remove the alt and then use pliers to remove the bolt..

You could also try cutting a flat slot in it and use a large screwdriver with a wrench on it to get it out.

But cutting or drilling the head off will work fine..

Todd Z