Royal Purple Oil Test Results

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hearing a lot about Royal Purple for older engines. What about my new(er) 07 ST V8 with 23k miles? Can I use it on that?

I currently change my oil every 5k miles - with regular oil 10w30 as recommended - mostly because the truck's computer tells me to. If I were to use a synthetic oil and wanted to change my oil every 7500 - or 10k miles, how do I handle the computer telling me to change is at 5k miles? Is there a way to reset it? ... and ... can I change the oil with syn oil at these intervals?

I've run rp in my last 3 fords with no problem, I change oil every 15-20 thousand and filter every 5 with a top off never had a problem and oil remains clean.

:):):)

I'm with Caymen, except I am only half as faithful. I change my vehicles oil and filters twice a year whether they need it or not. On my Trac, that works out to 6000-8000 miles. On my wife's car, it works out to 12,000-16,000 miles.

The trac gets Mobil 1 EP 5w20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

Just Jimmy,

Depending upon the year and model of your vehicle, the "Change Oil" sensors operate differently. The one in my wife's Saturn computed the time to change based on how hot the vehicle ran, how long it ran, what RPM's it was operating at, the load, etc and that's how it determined the condition of the oil.

When I switched over to Mobil-1, I tried to change the oil every 5K miles I know it ran over 10K miles and I never got any "Change oil" warning message. I think the synthetic oil reduced friction and the operating temperature of the oils, so the oil lasted much longer.

If your "Change Oil" light comes on you can just reset it. Most GM vehicles are reset by turning on the ignition key but not starting the vehicle. Then press the accelerator pedal to the floor three times in a row. the Warning light might start to blink. Turn the key off and when you start the engine the light/warning message should be off.

...Rich

My oil change message calculates 5,000 miles. In other words, 2 oil changes ago, I changed it at 15,786. When my truck reached 20,786 miles, the message came up. Looks like the dealer resets it somehow when the change the oil.

I'd be interested to know what's the process for a Ford to reset at the time of the change.

Rich, I'll try the GM fix on the next oil change to see if it works.

My BMW I use Castrol edge and it goes 15,000, can that be done with my 07 ST v8?

I wouldn't try it right off. My dad used to have a BMW and it held a crap-ton of oil so it would go longer on an oil change. I would try 10,000 miles first and get a used oil analysis. Use a Mobil 1 or K&N filter if you're going that long, they will hold up better.

I wouldn't try it right off. My dad used to have a BMW and it held a crap-ton of oil so it would go longer on an oil change. I would try 10,000 miles first and get a used oil analysis. Use a Mobil 1 or K&N filter if you're going that long, they will hold up better.

T/u was actually planning to change filter at around 5000 and top off.

Latest posts