rpm question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
hey folks, question, around 65-70 mph my rpm is right around 2500, is that ok ?, also when I'm shifting from 1to 2 and 2nd to 3rd it does'nt go into gear till around 2700 rpm, is that the start of trans problems

I have owned two Tracs. Both 4 wheel drive, 5 speed auto, with the 4.10 limited slip rear end.

At 70 mph I recall the engine RPM's being about 2250 ish in my case...

Not going into gear is an indication of some sort of an issue. Could be as simple as a dirty filter.

There is an adjustment that affects a solenoid that creates slightly greater pressure. It helps the tranny shift a bit more positive. You can do this yourself. There is a project on it..

My 01 4wd 3.73 rear end ST is just like yours-65 mph is around 2400 rpms give or take, 70 is like 2600 ish... As for the shifting, that sounds like the infamous tranny flairs...the epc adjustment coastie mentioned will help.

Good luck

Andy

David,

When you say that it doesn't shift until about 2700 rpm, is that under normal driving conditions?? When the transmission shifts is based on RPM, throttleposition, speed, and load. If you get on the throttle, when does it shift 1-3 and 203 gears??

It might be the transmission but if the transmission slips, the engine will rev up higher between gear shifts, and the rpm depends upon all the previously mentiond factors.

...Rich