Rumor Mill - Let's talk ST future

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ioco

Reaction score
What's the future of the ST?

I'll start...

I heard that the ST will be discontinued, but I didn't hear when. All good things must come to an end, right? My guess is it won't see a re-design though.

So what's going to replace it? Will it be the European 4 door ranger? Ranger sales are sluggish, how long will that be around?

How about this F-100? Is it an "in-betweenie"? Smaller than the F-150, bigger than the ST? That's what Ford needs?

I'm in an Avalanche right now, because the Ranger is too small, the new ST is ugly, and the SuperCrew was too long for my garage. The Avalache is HOT and it fits in my garage. But it's really more truck than I need. I'd like to see a mid-size truck from Ford, and I'm gathering that's what this F-100 deal is. Sounds like it could replace the Ranger and the ST.

Keep the rumors flowing.... what have you heard?

my guess is that we'll be seeing something like this little ugly son of a b!tc# replace the beloved ST

e05e7459ffd629d7ec6cb9b024411f1f.jpg

This is Ford's new "4 Trac" concept truck

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford will by the rights to the Avalanche and intergrate the frame, into a Ridgeline clone.:lol:

I think Ford should keep the ST but they seriously need to dump the 4.0 as a base engine or redesign it to keep up with the v6's in the imports. I drove a new toyota with their 4.0 and that thing gets up and moves and they are bulletproof, don't get me wrong the 4.0 is a good motor if properly taken care of but it is a little old and underpowered for todays market.

From what I gather, the Ranger will be discontinued and a new F-series truck will be born in its place. From there, I'm guessing a 4-door version will be built. If Ford was going to redesign the Ranger, we would've heard or read something about it by now.

Ford's definitely redesigning the Explorer but my guess is if they built a Sport Trac version off of it, they would not make available, a 4-door version of the Ranger replacement, and vice versa.

I think Ford should keep the ST but they seriously need to dump the 4.0 as a base engine or redesign it to keep up with the v6's in the imports. I drove a new toyota with their 4.0 and that thing gets up and moves and they are bulletproof, don't get me wrong the 4.0 is a good motor if properly taken care of but it is a little old and underpowered for todays market.

It's funny that you say this. I went from the 160HP OHV to the 210 SOHC when I replaced a 4-door Explorer with the Trac. The Explorer felt so sluggish at the end. Now, the ST feels so sluggish. It's an adequate engine, but for the weight of the Trac, I really wish it had in the area of 255 or so HP.

Put the GM 3.6 liter V6 in the Trac and enjoy the 304 hp at 6400 rpm and 273 lb-ft of torque at 5200 rpm.

Ford's engines are pretty lame compared to even GM's.

I liked the old Avalanche and I like the current one even better. The fold down midgate is an excellent feature and it's got a powerful engine. But like Stylin', it's just too much truck for me. If Chevy shrunk it down to the size of the current Sport Trac it would be perfect for me. I like the current Sport Trac too but the interior, while it looks very nice, needs better storage management features IMO.

---

If Ford evolved the Sport Trac into a unibody construction, how would you folks like it?

The front end shot of that 4Trac is a lot cooler.. I think it's a good lookin truck.. I was kinda disappointed when the gen 2's came out, but I was really lookin forward to the V-8 in there and what it could do. Now I've grown to like the gen 2's. I'm just sayin change is usually for the better..

He-he-he Ironbar! You obviously haven't drove an Avalanche then!

Gavin, if you dig up my old posts, you'll see I was very anti-Avalanche. It was more so based on the grey cladded version's God awful look and style. But then I saw the new Ave. If I said I disliked that, it would be based on jealousy. (NOT the case with hating the Ridgeline though! That's still ugly!) Comparing price, features, MPG, etc, I felt I made the best decision. But I don't want to turn this into a ST vs. Ave thread. I'd really like to be back into a Ford product, that's why I'm curious what's to come!

[Broken External Image]:

I'm still trying to figure out the ugly "d-pillar" plastic thing. What in the world is it for because it sure doesn't add to the looks of the vehicle?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what that's about. I heard it was something for rigidity. It doesn't bother me much. I picture the truck without it, and I don't like it as much. I know one thing though, it looks better than whatever's going on on the back of this thing!

6a7d5258e68bc8b3a1d37c0e631711a7.jpg

The ridgeline is extremely ugly. I think everyone can agree on that! To market it as anything that resembles a truck is a joke.

I've had a few Hondas, have a lot of respect for the brand, but the Ridgeline is even uglier than the original Avalanche, and that's not easy to achieve.

Maybe Ford will give us some hints on this topic in Louisville.

Latest posts