Running Board paint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Kelly

Reaction score
Does anybody know what paint you would use for touch up on the orignial equipment running boards (the grey colored) like you see in nearly all of the pics?

After reading on here people weren't having much luck painting them because they would still rust, I took mine off, tore them apart, sanded them good, treated them with a spray on rust inhibitor, primed them, and used Brush on bed liner from J.C. Whitney. I used 1 coat on the bars only, then assembled them with the plastic end caps and plastic treads, then went on to coat the whole shebang, plastic and all. The color doesn't match but they look OK and I hope to have them totally sealed from the attack of road salt that they use here in the winter.

oz,i think thats a great fix hope it works out , may have to do the same to my 02 the road salt around here is bad and i'm starting to rust around the joints . one question how do you remove the plastic steps from the tubes?

Mike,just use a screwdriver and they pry right off, for the end caps look on the underside of them and they are Hollow and are supported by steel held on with 2 nuts each.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts