Rust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to the web site....i think is great

Just bought used 2001 ST, the truck is from NY and i live in Pittsburgh. The are rust by the tailgate. Can i fix this myself or do i have to go to a body shop

Attached are pics.

Thanks [Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Welcome to the site. I live in Pittsburgh on the Northside in Brighton Heights, if you wanna come by sometime I can check it out for you and let you know for sure if it needs a patch welded in or just sanded down and repainted. My neighbor is a bodyman/frameman, Pa. inspector from his garage/ business behind his house so if you need patch's he could probably do it cheaper then a body shop.

:banana::haveabeer:

:welcome:

Nice color. Very rare color at that.

FYI,If you use the photo sizer when you upload pics. They will fit the sreen better..:supercool:

Have any other rust on the truck, rockers/fenders/etc? If not I'd surely remove/dismantle the bed and replace the parts. It's not a real difficult job, just requires some extra muscle to pick up the bed.

c8eea015e2f073985645b4a5fc59406c.jpg

Thats the back side view.

The bed and rear fenders are composite (not metal) so it must be mounting brackets that are doing the rusting. Like Steve M wrote, I would take it apart and replace what is rusting.

:welcome:

Latest posts