Rusty Step Bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I plan to remove my step bars, sand them down, and apply something like POR-15 or Rust Bullet, and paint them with a paint that matches the factory side bar color.

My question: Can I paint over POR-15 or Rust Bullet. I found and Ace Hardware brand spray paint that matches the OEM grey perfectly.

[Broken External Image]:

Mark,

I restore old VW's and originally used Por-15 It worked ok and had a black finish.

I tried Rustbullet and have used NOTHING else since. I was planning a project this summer on my step bars.

Use Rustbullet. You can topcoat it with paint and it wil be the LAST TIME you ever do these step bars!!!

You can foam brush or roller it on and the finish will be smooth.

Make sure you apply 2 coats and let it cure properly before painting. Oh & wear latex gloves unless you enjoy silver hands for a week!!

Andy

How far does a quart go?

Would 1 Quart do both Bars?

Al whuch is the correct formula to by?

They have what they call a starter kit (2 - 4 oz cans) for $20.00

GT a quart would be excessively more than enough that covers about. 50 sq. ft. with a two coat application. The 1/4 pt would do the bars but personally I would get the pint "just in case" I know you will find other uses. ie I did my beetles brake drums ( I spoke at length with their engineering dept. about heat disappation) The base of my BBQ grill, my old engine crane which spend 5 years outside in the NJ winters.

Here's an example of what it looks like applied to a 30+ year old VW beetle

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found and Ace Hardware brand spray paint that matches the OEM grey perfectly.

does this paint have a color name or stock number, and also what is rust bullet? is this a paint/ primer? .my bars are in bad shape and have since taken them off but my wife is pregnant and i need to put them back on here soon thanks for your help ! !:D

Trax

Rust Bullet is a rust encapsulator/ inhibitor. Basically with just a light sanding 2 coat application will seal the painted part. Then when it's cured you just topcoat it with your choice of color. It doesn't need to be painted but the silver color is not attractive.

I can attest this stuff is better than POR-15 and will cure this rust problem. I will be posting a project this summer after I do mine. Here is the link to them

Andy