ScanGauge II Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I finally bought a ScanGauge II from a seller on eBay. So far, all I've had time to do with it is the Quick Setup and plug it in on the way to work this morning. Seems pretty cool so far. I've a couple of questions:

1. Since our Gen 1 Trac's have a 22.5 gallon gas tank, is should 22 or 23 gallons be entered into the Scan Gauge's fuel capacity setting? Which one will give the most accurate MPG?

2. I'd like to see mounting ideas/pictures from other Gen 1 owners. I'm not quite sure yet where to mount it. Has anyone used the mirror Blendmount? Will it work if you have the overhead console? Seems like it'd be a tight fit between the mirror and the console...

Looks like this will be quite a useful device, in both my Trac and my Class C RV.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 set it for 22 gal per the manual

#2 someone had a SGII and the mount you mentioned for sale in the swap/sell section a while back,. I have an 07 ST and put some velcro on the top of the steering column inbetween the steering wheel and the dash, works fine there.

I have the high console. Velcro'ed it at the front just below the hvac controls. Tilts up toward you. I will get a pic latter if you want.

Ditto what FastEddie did. Except I have found mine does not work very well. Maybe a setup issue but the MPG is WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OFF. There are times when I am getting over 49mpg:lol:

The blend mount would be good only if you could use it BELOW the mirror not on top !!!

Todd Z

e22192cc3008ce247904cc7c3406410d.jpg

That's what was thinking too, Todd. Not enough room above the mirror.

Eddie,

I've thought about a console mount similar to yours. If you have a chance, a picture would indeed be helpful. Thanks.

I took mine apart and molded it into the center console storage compartment. I still need to finish it up and smooth it out a little better, but it came out pretty nice overall.

I'll take some when I get home next weekend as I'm in Illinois until next Friday. I basically just used the top half of the ScanGauge's shell and a sheet of ABS plastic to make filler pieces. I used a plastic weld epoxy and built it into the front of the center console cubby, then bondo and paint. Like I said, I still need to go back and smooth it out better. I threw a quick coat of paint on it so I could reinstall it and not have it look really crappy, thats been a few months and i still haven't had a chance to finish it... man it sucks having to work for a living!:rolleyes:

OK. Well, if you could post pictures of your ScanGauge setup here when you get a chance, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I velcroed mine where the center console meets the dash below the heater controls. I started to make a fiberglass box to fit into the larger compartment in the center console that would flush mount the scan gauge and give me a place to mount some aux. switches without putting holes in the dash anywhere. But I have not yet had a chance to finish the project.

As for the accuracy, in the fillup menu I had mine set at 8.7% and when I filled up tonight it showed 16.5 and using the odometer to figure it I got 16.6 so its pretty close. If its off again next tank I'll adjust it a bit.

I believe the tank size setting will only affect the miles left to empty type of information because everything else should be figured from fuel actually used.

OK, I played with this thing a little more last night. I mounted it on the lip of the IP bezel over the gear shift indicator area. It fit in that spot well, and I like it in the same field of view as the rest of the gauges.

I programmed in a few of the "X-Gauges": Intake air temp, Tranny fluid temp, Cylinder Head Temp, and Horsepower.

The Intake Air Temp seems to be working well. At highway speed this morning, it showed a reading of ~48, and moved up to around ~59 when sitting at a stoplight. It'll be fun to monitor that as the weather warms up.

The Tranny Fluid temp and the Cylinder Head Temp aren't displaying any information. Does the '04 Trac's computer not send that info out via the OBD II port in a way that's compatible with the ScanGauge?

Finally, I'm not sure what to make of the HP display. It never got over 100. What info does this actually represent?

Now I have to master the trip functions of this thing. Overall though, this was a worthwhile purchase. It's been fun playing with it and seeing all of the information available through it.:cool:

some vehicles do not report/send some info out thru the obd port for whatever reason, check out cleanmpg.com or ecomodder.com, they have SGII sections that might point you in the right direction for that info

Andy, make sure you put the exact number and letters in. The first time I put in the formula on some of the readouts, I put a number in the wrong place. The readout would not show. When I checked and changed the formula, it worked fine. I also programmed in some of the stuff off the current and total trips, so they would be in the gauge function. ON the horse power, mine sets at about 45 to 55 at cruising speeds, you have to get into the upper rpm's to get above 125._Ron

Thanks for the info, Ron. It was late last night when I was messing with this, so perhaps I did fat-finger some of the programming. I'll go back and double-check it. Did you get the Tranny Temp and Cylinder Head Temp gauges to function?

I never thought about programming the trip info into the gauges. Good idea. I'll look into that.

What you mentioned about HP... So is that reading rear wheel HP?

Latest posts