Screwy Turn Signal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
Last Friday I got the rapid clicking and flashing for my left turnsignal, and sure enough, my rear left taillight didn't blink.

So I dealt with the annoying click until I got home, and then I pulled the taillight and saw that the bulb had both filaments intact.

So I took the bulb out (and accidentally broke the old & weak tabs holding it on....oops), put it back in, and it worked.

Until this evening, whereupon I'm getting that clicking and my rear left signal is out again, but looking in through the taillight, it seems that both filament are fine. Turning the headlights on lit up the taillight the first time I had the problem, but now that I think of it, I didn't check that this time, as it was raining and that made me lazy :(

Any ideas? Because having to un & replug my bulb every 2 days doesn't sound fun.

Use an emory board or super fine sandpaper and a popsicle stick to rough up the contacts in the socket and the wires on the bulb. They sometimes get a coating of oxidation on them. I had the same problem.

Tilt your steering wheel all the way UP toward the windshield.... The problem goes away ???

Common issue in the wiring in the column...

Todd Z

It seems that people ( like me that are horizontally challenged) or people that do not move the tilt EVERY time they get in and out never have the issue...

Those that keep the wheel lower seem to have it...

Todd Z

Ok, I have put my steering wheel from it's highest point to its leg-amputating lowest point, and that didn't fix the problem :wacko:

I guess I'll have to open up the ole taillight again :(

KL,

Try the wheel in a few different positions, as pointed out it is a major common issue.

I just hate to see you kill yourself chasing a bug until you are certain it is not the tilt column issue.

Latest posts