seafoam question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
I have read about seafoam and thoght about trying it, however, I bought my 01 sport used and the engine was not well taken care of as far as changing oil. While I keep the oil changed and the truck serviced it still is gunked up pretty bad. I was told that do to the placement of the oilpump screen that if I use seafoam it may stop the screen up and then the engine would have to be pulled to remove the oil pan and fix. Has anyone had this problem? TodZ, what do you think about my doing this?

Seafoam is supposed to desolve (sp) the sludge and such. I have used it in the oil of many things, including my ST, and no problems. I also put a project on the site here to show how to treat your intake with it. I don't think you would have anything to worry about.;)

My question is how do you know it is gunked ??? Did you remove a valve cover to inspect ??

is the oil dipstick caked ????

If it is that bad, the engine oil system is done for any way, but i dont think that is the case..

If your thinking of doing an internal cleaning you can, but you need to confirm there is sludge and gunk on the inside, if there is not, your wasting your money...

If you thinking of doing the intake seafoam cleaning you will have no issues... that is a good idea every now and then...

Todd Z

Seafoam, per their MSDS, is 80% pale oil which is a light oil, usually around a 20 viscosity, and 20% alcohol. I certainly would not suggest putting any alcohol in the engine unless you are wanting future seal issues. Some folks run this thru their intake system to clean carbon. A few manage to hydrolock their engine. Yet another few will crack pistons with it. I recently did a rebuild on a 302 that had all of the above because young, brilliant, son thought dads collector Mustang needed it. If you think that the engine is sludged up, there are two ways to clean it. Use a PAO or ester based synthetic oil like Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline. These types of oils have more solvency than a dino oil and will clean the engine after several fluid changes. Or you can use an additive by the name of Auto- Rx. It is an ester based cleaning agent similiar to the ester used in the synthetic oils. It does not clean the engine fast. It works slow which is far better for your engine anyway. Here's the link and make sure to read and follow the instructions if you decide to use the Auto-Rx

www.auto-rx.com

I know the F-150 guys like Auto-Rx. Does anyone here have experience with it in a ST? Thoughts? (Sorry, to hijack the thread) I'm thinking doing a fuel/intake cleaning with Seafoam and then Auto-Rx in the oil is a good One-Two punch.

Latest posts