Sears no longer honoring Monroe warranty on shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
I had an original post about this problem last March. Here's the final outcome.

In 2005, I had Sears replace the original shocks on my truck with Monroe SensaTrac shocks. After 70,000 miles, they are now worn out. According to the Monroe Warranty, Monroe says they will warrant any worn out shock, for any reason.

http://www.monroe.com/support/warranty.asp

However, Sears WILL NOT warrant them unless they are leaking or broken.

In talking with Monroe, they now acknowledge that Sears will not warrant their shocks for wearout, and they are done trying to work with them. Monroe says to try and see if any other local shop will honor the warranty, and if not, then have them replaced, and Monroe would pick up the cost of the shocks after I return the shocks to Monroe. Monroe will pay for shipping them back.

So, if you go to Sears to buy Monroe shocks, expect a problem if you think they are worn out, but are not broken or leaking. According to Monroe, this is the ONLY retailer that they have had this problem with.

Edit:

I just found a local shop that will work with Monroe, and I'm getting them replaced tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are getting it worked out, sad that Sears is walking away from an obligation they had at the time you established a contract with them...

I have had freinds and family have problems, with Sears. The last few years Sears (in my area) has denied warranties. From craftsman tools to vacuums. I stay away from sears myself.

The customer service difference between Sears and Monroe was just amazing.

:fire: Sears could not have cared less.

:haveabeer: Monroe shocks however, bent over backwards to help. They called back about 20 minutes after my last call with a list of local shops that might work...after they talked with their local rep! That is exceptional customer service.

Kudos to Monroe and shame on Sears....

Sears and "service" have never been synonymous, or should be used in the same sentence.

Speak with two different Sears Auto Center managers, get two completely different answers. (BS)

Unfortunately Sears still has a bi-annual Monroe 50% off sale. Who cares, especially now.

However, I am very impressed with their DieHard Platinum P-2 battery. Only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sears has lost a number of lawsuits regarding this, particularily involving their batteries and should be considered a last resort with automotive repair.

When I bought my Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, I got a quote from Sears and then went to NTB (National Tire & Battery) and they purposely beat Sears by $1.00 just to get my business and they had the shocks in stock...Sears had to special order them. Then NTB gave me another 10% discount because it took longer than they promised because they had some problems with the vehicle ahead of mine.

If you have a problem I would recommend NTB. The Waco, TX store has very good service.

...Rich

Just a clarification here. I was expecting to pay for the install, and have Sears work with Monroe to cover the cost of the shocks, since I bought and had the shocks installed at Sears originally. That's the normal way of doing it. However, Sears would not do the warranty install, even though they could have made money on the labor. Maybe they didn't want to bother with the return? I don't know...

I'm paying for the install at the local shop and Monroe is covering the cost of the shocks, just as I expected Sears to do.

My dad always hated Sears after having a couple bad experiences with them, but that was years ago. Then just a couple years ago, they proved to me that nothing had changed by screwing me over on a big purchase and refusing to make it good. I absolutely will not buy anything from them ever again. :angry:

Latest posts