Second Vehicle Suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Scions aside from being the ugliest cars EVER made have no storage room with the rear seats up which sooooo important with kids for strollers and other necessary crap of parentage.

Both people that I know who owned Taurus' had nothing but problems.. transmissions and motors both..

I don't think either my wife or I would be willing to minivan it.. gas would have to get much much worse, I'd drive just about anything over a minivan.. just a personal thing no good reason other than I don't want to ;)

With the link from Caymen I think the CR-V has moved higher on my list.. I need to see how big/small they actually are though.

I could rock a xB but my wife HATES them. I could barely convince her than an element was a good choice, but we know someone who has one and loves it so I think that swayed her that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have more to consider now, even though this won't be happening for about 3 more months.

JD,

How about the new Scion Xd since you like the Xb, but the wife doesn't... I don't know anything about them, but they are more rounded than the Xb in pictures. Just a thought.

(PS, I have a 2001 Taurus, 3.0 V6, 115,000 on it and never had an issue with it. My daughter is using it to drive to and from school now)

The 08 xB's look much better, and they had plenty of space behind the seats. It's not an Excursion, but it was more room than most small hatchbacks.

I don't think your going to find a good fuel efficient vehicle for that kind of price. To much demand for them right now. Maybe an old Explorer or something like that.

The 08's are about 17-18K brand new. Put 10K down and your payment is VERY small for 3-4 years. Just a thought...... I understand the joy of NO car payment. At the same time, there is something to be said for a brand new vehicle with full warranty and roadside assistance, especially for the wife and new babies.

JD,

My Dad just purchased a 2003 Taurus to replace his 1998 Taurus. The 2003 Taurus had 100,000 miles. He got the 1998 Taurus for $3,000 with 98,000 miles on it. Drove it for 4 years to 135,000 miles (he is retired and has nothing to do and all day to do it).

Sold it for $2,300.00 to someone he knew. He could have gotten $3,500 for it, if not more.

Both the 1998 and 2003 get in excess of 30 MPG and were nothing but reliable.

Tom

TomT is right, the more fuel efficient vehicles in each class, are highly sought after right now. I am trying to help my brother find another vehicle and looking for an older semi fuel efficient SUV. Things like the Izuzu Rodeo, Escapes, etc that get decent mpg's are up in price and selling quickly whereas the gas guzzlers are a dime a dozen. Everybody is looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle. Im glad we purchased our rendezvous just before the gas started to go real crazy.

Good luck with your search.

The cheapest (from a TCO standpoint) 2nd car right now to get is an old, beat-up 4 banger. The old and beat up will be the key. Probably '96 or earlier, with blemishes galore. Just try to get one that is reliable and not going to kill you on parts replacement. If you buy a small gas miser that is only a few years old, you will pay throught he nose.

TJR

tom,

the cows came home to one of your empty tables, AGAIN :p

you confuse me, you say buy ford, and then you say the gen 2 trac, edge, suck

chase,

the xb might be the ugliest car, but it is dependable and gets great gas mileage as well as having ample room.

I don't know about the dependable part my bro-in-law in phoenix has been in for recalls at least 2 times that i know of (he stopped telling me cause i laughed at him), and he wants to sell the thing. I bet he would sell his to you for 10 grand I think it has in the range of 40,000 miles.

My employer has a bunch of 2nd and 3rd generation Tauri that have been run into the ground with very little maintenance, but lots of abuse. They are very dependable, and they always clean up very easily to look very nice. Our people really abuse them, and they may go for 15,000 miles without oil changes. Never get transmission flushes or radiator flushes. Air filters replaced every 60,000 miles whether they need it or not. Brakes when the rumbling and grinding noise gets louder than the radio. Never get front end alignments or struts unless creamed in a wreck. Spark plugs whenever they won't start or run so rough that your teeth get jarred out.

Latest posts