Seeking Your Opinions Re: Tailgate Light Bar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
My Recon Line of Fire-and-Ice LED Tailgate Bar was a casualty of the rear-end collision I suffered on Tuesday. I'm going to replace it, but instead of the Recon bar, I'm considering the Plasmaglow FireStorm Scanning LED Tailgate Bar. The sequential turn signal feature is pretty cool, but I'm not sure about the amber color, given the fact that there's no other amber lighting on the rear of the ST.

What do you all think? Would it look OK, or should I just stick with the traditional-style of light bar?

[Broken External Image]:

Link to video of this bar:

Last edited by a moderator:
If working construction, or you want high visibility, go amber....

If you want looks Go all red..

Todd Z

If I not mistaken, amber lights are for foriegn cars and red for u.s. made.:unsure: Red is cool.

Hey Traintrac, hope it was not your show trac that got hit. I think I would like them better in red, would match the tail lights more. I think the amber ones would stick out too much, although they do look good, if those are the amber ones on Chris's STA, hard to tell with the pictures. Still think I would like them in red better, think I will see about a set for myself.

I second what Todd said...amber is proven to be the best light to deter traffic approaching from the rear...my emergency lights in my trac for fire and ems are the usual blue red, but i flash amber in the rear...look at a firetruck, i guarantee you won't find one without a rear amber bar.

Those look really kewl.....are they easy to install/wire? Does it cover the hole where you lower your spare?

Hey Traintrac, hope it was not your show trac that got hit.

Unfortunately, it was indeed my show Trac.:( But, she's going to be repaired and ready to go for show season next summer. If that's not possible, then I'll sue the pi$$ out of 'em and have a 2009 STA to show next summer!:banana:

whoa damn! that bar is expensive!

I'm filing a claim against someone else that hit me. They don't know which bar I had, nor what I paid for it. All they need to know is a replacement cost.;)

Those look really kewl.....are they easy to install/wire? Does it cover the hole where you lower your spare?

Very easy. They plug right into your four-pin trailer harness. This project shows how to mount it without covering the spare tire crank access hole:

Andy, be sure to seal both ends with extra silicone and you can set it on the bumper and screw it to the lip on the back. I just lost my second add on due to moisture in the brake light. I think the plasmaglow would look great._Ron

if those are the amber ones on Chris's STA, hard to tell with the pictures.

nope those are red LED's. its not the "line of fire" set i dont remember the name but it was very simple to install.

I removed the tailgate, Then i removed 2 screws fron the bumber top, peeled the back just enough to get the connector through and ran it down the the trailor hook-up. Then zip tied all the loose wire. BINGO BANGO....

IMO I'm not a big fan of the Line of Fire lights. Never really have been.

But I really like those amber ones, especially for turn signals and hazard lights. I'd vote for that option as opposed to the regular LOF.

Just to be clear, the Plasmaglow bar to which I referred at the start of this thread has the features and functions similar to the Recon "Line of Fire and Ice" (i.e. red LED tail/brake lights, white LED reverse lights), but also the added feature of sequential, amber turn signal LED's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the cheaper route lol....I found a set of LED stripes that were 40 inches long, red, and hooked them up to the trailer wiring, looks almost like the Recon's line of fire but I did it for 20 bucks!!:cool:

Latest posts