Seems like DPFE season (Check Engine Light anyone?) FYI

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fer Echegaray

Reaction score
Lately there have been several posts about the Check Engine Light (CEL) going off on several STs lately.

Gathering the experience from past posts, it seems that you might get one or more of the following codes:

a) P0171 - Lean on bank 1

b) P0174 - Lean on bank 2

c) P1400 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Detected

d) P1401 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected

e) P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

f) P0402 - EGR Flow Excessive Detected

For (a) and (b) you most likely have a problem with a vaccum hose, keep reading and you'll find Coastijoe's reply with pics of the hose.

For (c) to (f) codes the solution so far has been to replace the DPFE (and only 1 instance I found that EGR valve was also replaced).

For what I've read here, you only need the EGR valve if your Trac is rough at idle, or has stalled when you accelerate, otherwise the DPFE replacement should take care of the problem.

The part number for the DPFE is (please double-check it before buying):

F77Z-9J460-AB for Job 1 STs

4U7Z-9J460-AA for Job 2.

Replacement takes 15 minutes and can be done by hand.

The following picture, which I took from ToddZ's library shows the location of both the DPFE and the EGR.

[Broken External Image]:

That's it, I hope this is helpful in a 'search' when anyone else gets the infamous CEL...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cod 0171 and 0174 are normally caused by this hose. Many have had to replace this hose...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

please explain to a newbie... what is a dpfe, and is the elbow that we are referring to on a 2005 st.thanks.(if so , which side of the engine is the elbow located, and next to what.thanks again).

I just got a replacement elbow @ Pep Boys for $10.90. It's a 5/8" radiator hose elbow, PN 40800CR. Overlap the old elbow to trim a couple of inches off each side of the 90 and your in business. It is a thick-wall mesh reinforced hose that looks like it will last a long long time.

The elbow is located just below the bolt that holds the intake plenum down. The bolt is located on the passengers side. The rise in the intake is the front one, going to the front passengers cylinder.

DPFE is the digital version of the old style EGR. They are also a common failure on our Tracs.

C'joe...Just clicked on your project wrench (I think it's you) and saw the project on

how to disable the door chimes. On my '02 Silverado, it also had the chimes wired into

the "striker face", or door latch, rather than the old "door- jamb switch". I came up with a rather simple fix for this by using a piece of plastic, actually, a basic black "bic" pen with the tip and ink cartridge removed. With the door open, you just insert it into the latch

to trip it closed, as if you had shut the door and it had hit the striker on the body.

Your idea is a more professional and permanent fix, but for those not too saavy on wiring,

or only occasionally need this feature, this may be handier. Just remember to un-trip the

latch (pull on in-or- outside handle) while removing the plastic piece. If you leave it in the

latch (as I have done) and try to shut the door, the plastic will not chip the paint edges

of the door or body, vs. a metal piece. A helpful idea is to paint it or find a plastic piece in a bright (or neon) color to catch your eye before you close the door.Thanks...

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say how invaluable this site is for us all as I am sure you all know already. This weekend the Check Engine light came on in my ST and this post saved the day. The problem I found that caused the check engine light to come on was the cracked elbow on the vaccum line.

By the way, does anyone have a partnumber for the rubber vacuccum elbow?

Have a great day,

Majer3rd

Majer3rd,

You may want to check in with Todd Z. Awhile back he purchased the assembly part from Ford. It was not just the rubber elbow, but the entire hose assembly, so it may be better to just go to Pep Boys or Auto Zone like previously suggested, and get a replacement. Here's the old post.

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.