Seriously Considering Buying A New Vehicle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
Ok, after filling up my Expidition today at the tune of almost $80, I have decided to start looking for something a little more economical. I really would love to have the '07 Job 2 White Chocolate Sport Trac....that is if Ford will give me a GREAT deal on it, not a "good" deal, it has to be a great deal (Glen Burke are you listening?:D).

I would like to stick with a Ford, if not then I might consider another domestic vehicle. Any ideas on what I should consider getting? LaRue is basically going to leave it up to me (or so he says).

I am wanting something along the lines of a smaller SUV with decent gas mileage. My Expi averaged barely at 14 miles to the gallon on this last tank. Heck, my continental used to give me 23 mpg in town.

My wife really liked the Mercury Mariner and would have gotten one but her running stroller wouldn't fit in the back. We told a friend of ours about the one we looked at and they went and bought it. They love it. It's alittle more "high end" looking than the Ford Escape. (classier looking) You might not be looking at that small a SUV though. Just a suggestion on something that will get you pretty good MPG.;)

At least wait until Ford has fixed the door pull handle issue, and get the V6 w/ the SCT XCalibrator II from Wayne Foy. You'll have good performance when you need it as well as better gas milage, plus the ability to switch it back to the OEM program if/when you need to take it to the dealer. Are you going to put another lighthouse mural on the tailgate? :D

Rose: you seriously think a Sport Trac will give you much better mileage than an Expedition? I think you'll be sadly disappointed in the fuel economy. Most here are getting 14 to 17 mpg with the new Tracs.

My wife's '06 Escape gives 24 mpg with the 3.0L V6. If good mileage is what you want, I don't see anything Ford has that can really deliver. You'd probably have to go to a 4 cylinder Escape, RAV4, CRV, or Sportage to get closer to 30mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont get another SUV, get a Fusion. My wife was wanting one so we traded in the 02 Explorer and got a 2006 Fusion SE V6. We have had it for 3 weeks. It's getting around 25 mpg so far. I love this car.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Rue has a 2004 Mazda3 and he is getting 33mpg in the city. I saw that new Mazda SUV and really liked it, seems to have a lot of interior room. Anything over 18mpg would work for me. We do need to have something that can pull our utility trailer around. LaRue's commercial van gets charged ridiculous fees to dump stuff at the landfill. A POV doesn't get charged anything.

Rose,

I promised LaRue a great deal on any new Ford you or he wants. You know how to contact me if interested.

Tom

Thanks Tom, LaRue reminded about that last night.

Andrew is that a Gamecock flag I see in that picture of the Fusion, that is a sharp looking car. Might have to add that to my list of vehicles to look at.

Rose: I don't think a Fusion is rated to pull anything.

I really don't think you'd like the Escape, they ride much much rougher than a Expy does. I've driven both the Expy and Escape alot when I travel on business.

I agree that the ride of the Escape is harsh. Test drove one for my wife and we didnt make it a mile before she said to turn around. Bought her a new Explorer, pretty happy with it.

I bought a certified used Lexus, RX300. VERY happy with it. All wheel drive, with a hitch, getting 19.9 mpg. Very confortable ride and covered for almost everything to

100,000 miles. If you need service they hand you keys to another nice Lexus until they are done with yours. Id buy another in a heart beat.

BTW, the RX series is a SUV...

Recently traded my wife's Expedition in for the new RAV4. She loves it. Still has lots of room. Gets 22-28 mpg. Got the 6 cyl which has 270 hp and man does it move.

[Broken External Image]:

Well, LaRue and I went window shopping after church today. Saw the RAV4 & the Highlander, I liked them both. I also like the Mazda CX-7, does anyone know if the X-plan will work for a Mazda vehicle? I will probably go test drive the RAV4 & CX-7 sometime this week, they both seem pretty roomy and the mpg's are right about where I want to be. I looked at the Sport Trac, but still no Job 2 '07's on the lot.

Latest posts