shifting on the go

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you have an auto ST I assume your saying drop the shifter into 2 and then drive it, and move the shifter as if your actually shifting the gears ???

I know 2 St owners that blew up the tranny doing that because they did it on a regular basis.

IF you do it for snow, towing, or some other reason, that is ok, but to make it like your shifting the truck for the fun of it, i don't recommend doing it regularly..

Todd Z

Rich,

Too bad your 2wd, I would take you up on that offer, Or find the 4wd tail shaft and it is a done deal !!!!! :eek::eek:

Bah, I've been fine in New Hampshire with 2wd and a little weight in the back. Next year I'll get snow tires for it, this year I'll just take the wifes Tucson if I need to get by in really bad weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
James you will be fine...

Todd Z

With an automatic, whether in D, 2 or 1 it starts in the same gear anyway - doesn't it?? If in D or 2, still starts in first - so if for snow driving in a 2 wheel drive, what's the difference?

Seems pointless. Not trying to hammer you or anything - but I just don't understand why except for maintaining a lower gear longer aiding in stopping not going.

grump

on the ST in 2 it actually starts the truck off in 2nd gear..... changes the gear ratio for less torque so you spin the tires less in the snow...