Shocks or not?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luc Leclerc

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got this enoying problem..... When I hit a bump or hole in a curve the trac make an horrible jolt (both rear and frond) toward the outside of the curve!!

Do you think it could be my stock shock??? or should I look for something esle???

I know they where not good from day one....

The trac (05 4x4 adrenalin,50K miles) sit on new BF T/A KO (265/75r16LT) 1.5'' TT and copperhead shackles.

Tx

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got stiff shocks (reflexes) and the Explorer Express rear sway bar as my only suspension mods, and my truck does this too. If you hit bumps on a curve (especially at highway speeds) you never really know where your trac is going to end up. Only advice I can give is go slower and avoid the bumps. Scared the crap out of me the first few times.

Thats strange. I have a trac with stiff shocks and new endlinks and front swaybar and my trac holds the road superb. Is your sterring kinda loose or do you feel the trac swaying alot in the curb?

Everythink look just fine!!! And it does it on the rear too so I kinda sort out the sterring! Could it be the tire being too hard (E charge)???

I doutb it's normal, but anyway I want to fix this.! Where should I start looking at??

To me it sounds like your shocks are so soft that the trucks takes the jolt which leads to a jerk in the wheel causing it to lose control. One other thing tires can play a role in it to. Was it doing it with the old tires.

ebock, I put the new rubber on the first week I got the trac so...... I don't remerber...

Tx all for your help! I think I'll start with the shock as they are surely long due!!!

I have this same problem and it only does it with my 20" wheels. I upgraded to bilstein shocks and it helped out tremendously. The problem is still there but not as bad. I always thought it was because my wheels and tires were so heavy that the shocks couldn't keep them planted when you hit potholes. I also have sonsidered the sub frame connector mod from the V8 explorer to help fix this problem. I will also say that my truck is 4x4 and I replaced balljoints, endlinks, and wheel bearings and this didn't help until I added the bilstein shocks. I just added an addco rear sway bar this weekend but I haven't driven it enough to see if it helps. The problem does occur in the front but it's more noticeable in the rear.

The stock shocks dont have as good of control as a good aftermarket. IMO, at 50K I would start with new shocks. In any case you will be amazed at the control difference. I replaced mine at 1500 miles on my '04. Night and day cotrolability of the Trac.

my trac has very responsive steering (compared to stock) with reflexes, but I still have the same problem around corners at speed.

Matt, order the stiffer rear swaybar. From Zabteck or Explorer Express. Both are sponsors of the site. That will give you more control. Also the light rear end of our Tracs will always have a tendency to skip, in some circomstances.

Latest posts