Short Bed....No Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Had to get new carpet for basement. The Tracs bed is way to short to haul 12 ft rolls of carpet. So, I built a ladder-frame bed extender using [2] 9 ft 2x4's. Clamped it to the bed by putting 2x4 blocks under the rear internal tie-down loops; had to buy longer bolts. Worked like a charm. Must have looked odd to other drivers seeing about 8 ft of carpet sticking out of the bed. The Trac is great. Don't know if I could get along without one now that I've experienced just how versatile it really is.

;)I agree, I get surprised every time I think that something won't fit/work hauling in the ST. The bed extender is a dream come true and helps hauling alot of stuff that wouldn't fit in my old Toyota that I had. Haven't hauled anything that long though. Get picks of the setup if you can and let the rest of us in on the setup!:lol:

Here is an item many members have bought. Every one I know that has bought it has been very happy with it..

[Broken External Image]:

Cheap too, only $39.99...

Harbor Freight item. Here is a direct link to it..

Me too....Bought a new TV Saturday (50 inch rear projection wide screen Sony), I was waiting with the guys to load it into the truck, when the hubby pulled up they were making comments about the TV being bigger than the truck and that it would never fit. I looked at them and said, it'll be no problem. After it was loaded they said...guess you were right.

I love suprising people with how useful that 'little bed' is.

Kimbro, who are you trying to kid. Your a female, you just like being right...

Also, if that is your picture of the girl pouring the oil I don't think your holding your tongue quite right. Maybe 2 more degrees to the left will do it...

LOL. I have no idea why we do that but I think we all do. The tongue has to be hanging out there to concentrate I guess.

It is like trying to put a screw into a hole you can not see. For some reason we close our eyes and it gets easier...

I wish I had taken a few pics, but it reminds me of when Karen and I went to the huge furniture store 200 miles away and bought a kitchen table set that had six bar stools. When they brought the cartons out to the truck, I nearly cr_pped in my pants because of the size. I started to talk to the delivery guys about what I thought might work, but they told me to sit down and chill. Anyway, to make a long story a bit shorter, they stacked all the cartons up on the bed and ran tie-down ropes every which way. It ended up looking like a 10 foot box on the back of the track that hung out about two feet past the tailgate. They had it all tied securely, and I made the trip home just fine (well, Karen had to remind me not to pull into the garage when we got home!) :huh:

I made something similar when I had to haul some 10 foot 2x4's and some 4x8 sheets of plywood. The bed is too short alone for the length and too narrow between the wheel wells for a full sheet of plywood. I used some spare lumber to build a raised platform that would allow the full width of the bed to be utilized above the wheel wells. It worked like a charm. I have since bought the harbor freight hitch mounted bed extender for carrying just long stuff, but I still resort to the platform when I need to haul plywood.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts