Should I purchase a Hot Tub?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Noel

Reaction score
Like the title says, I am think about purchasing a hot tub. The problem is I have zero idea of cost, monthly chemical and electrical cost, or if I will even get my $'s worth out of it!! Looking for any and all comments on the issue.

Dont own one myself. Have thought about. Only info I can give is from those I know, that have one. Half of them dont mind the upkeep, the other half hate it..:D

I had a 6 person Coleman hot tub. Coleman was up there with the Caldera, Hotspring, etc. (Ours cost $5,500.) It cost - at max, about $20 a month to heat - and that was in the middle of winter (Northern IL - it sat outside). The only chemicals I used were chlorine and muriatic acid. I had originally bought all the fancy crap that the hottub dealer recommended - but found online that alot of people used chlorine and muriatic acid as their only chemicals. (Muriatic acid can be purchased at any hardware store like Lowes, etc., and chlorine at a pool or farm supply store.) Chlorine was about a shot-glass full, and muriatic acid about a cup. That was perhaps a few times a week. We had it for 3 years and used just those chemicals with much success. You'll also need test strips - about $10 for a few months worth. It's a good idea to have a spare filter and some filter cleaner - you can soak one filter in the cleaner while the other is being used. Filters can be pretty expensive.. I think mine were about $50.

I loved our hot tub - sold it with the house tho. My boyfriend has a portable "Softtub". Not quite as nice, but does well. It was about $3,500. It runs on 110, whereas mine ran on 220.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one, We got it around the middle of November, its nice to have when you have time and wanna get all warm on cold nights. I didnt use mine barely during the winter, and I am worried it was a waste, but I think ill get to use it more this winter. It all depends if you have time. Its just like a mini pool

Boodro

I've got a four person hot tub with 10 jets. It was very cheap, but the hubby and I love it! It's on the enclosed porch and is good for sore muscles after shoveling snow. It costs about an extra $20 a month to run it at 99 degrees in the winter only.

They are much easier than pools and when you got a cool drink and a hottttt loved one with you - you're living large.

Plan on 220 over 110. They heat much faster and are more efficient.

Look at the softub which runs on 120 volt It weighs less than 75 lbs empty and cost 8 to 10 dollars a month for electricity You can get a 4 person model for 3395.00 and move it wherever you want

Have one. Wife got it wit her 2000 Census taker wages. Moved the huge tning fron Arizona to Washington State.

We use it all year. Is good for me with bad back. helps releive pain. Cost for runing and chemicals is low for us, our eclectricity is just under 3 cents/khh so that is cheap. and the bromine tablets is nmot very high.

We drain and refill ours every 4-5 months. Holds 450 gallons of water.

Own one, actually, it is my second one.

Go for 220. 110 will cost more to run. You have a few options for chemicals. I switched to Bromine years ago. MUCH MUCH easier to control. A container of Bromine specifically made for hot tubs will cost about $35.00 for 5 pounds. I took my container to a pool store and compared the contents. They are identical, right down to the percentages. A 20 pound pail cost $65.00. HUGE savings. One pail last me about a year.

Also, buy one that has a ozinator in it. It is a little pump the sucks in air and injects it into the hot tube via it's own tube or spliced into an existing tube. It helps keep the tub fresh and you will use less chemicals as a result of having it.

We use ours more in the winter than any other time.

I'll never not have one....

Are you getting a Hot Tub (a heated tub of water) or a Spa (a heated tub of water with air pumps)?

Talk with a licensed contractor beforehand regarding your costs for electrical connections (220v best) and concrete pad installation (unless an existing patio is deemed adequate).

My apologies to you, Coastiejoe. The three Coleman spa dealers I've dealt with in six years, and friends who have used ozonators, have said they don't really work. We had similar operational experiences as Michelle and got the chemicals from Home Depot.

over the last 20 years, i have had 3 Hot Springs tubs. The first was a large tub and I lost it in the divorce. Had to have another but went with the Jetsetter......smaller. It was a wonderful tub. I just replaced it with a new Jetsetter. 110V on a dedicated 20 amp circuit......so, what's the hurry to heat it?

I couldn't live without one now.....I use it year round. DO NOT GET A BIG TUB. If you think you are going to have a bunch of people over and all float around, it may happen a couple times, but think about it. there aren't many people i'd want to get in a tub with and then you're going to be changing water alot..

I keep mine as hot as it will allow and spend about 10 minutes in it. melts away aches and pains.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

buzz

My apologies to you, Coastiejoe. The three Coleman spa dealers I've dealt with in six years, and friends who have used ozonators, have said they don't really work. We had similar operational experiences as Michelle and got the chemicals from Home Depot.

I'll have to agree with this. My Coleman had an ozonator, and it didn't help at all. I've heard the same thing - waste of money. In fact, the local Hotsprings dealer insisted that we'd barely need any chemicals at all if we purchased their hottub with an ozonator. Yah, right. I'd say it was a big gimmick. I guess it's like the Sharper Image air cleaners - some people say they work, some people say they don't.

In any case, the basic chemicals - chlorine and muriatic acid, are cheap. Especially when you buy them from a hardware store instead of the pool store. I used liquid chlorine, which I got from Farm & Fleet. (They carry agricultural supplies.)

I ---MISS--- my hottub!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I sold it with the house tho. If I hadn't, it would have been war between my exhusband and I as to who got it in the divorce.

Defenitly talk to the a contractor or the city about all the works, one reasoin i didnt get to use mine much, was because they built are concrete pad too far out, and the city made us rip it up and redo it. :angry:....... so now I wait for this winter :D

Boodro

Have had an Artic Spa for 5 years with ozone generator. Great year round. Just set at 90 to 93 degrees for the summer and you can stay in for hours getting a great massage. Winter is great set it for 100 to 103 and you'll stay about 15 to 40 minutes max. You'll be so relaxed that you may need help getting out. After you get out you can go play in snow and not be cold. Even wrestling matchs are fun in the snow right after getting out. Wife didn't believe until she tried it.

Ozone generators do work but you get what you pay for. Don't go cheap it will cost you.

We figure that the Artic will last 20 to 25 years. We use less that 3 pounds of clorine a year and 1 gal of miractic acid has last 5 years.

Edge...........My neighbors asked me to stop walking out to the mailbox after tubbin it.....unless I pulled on some clothes. I thought all that steam coming off me would conceal everything. hmmmmmm, guess not.

It is amazing how it warms you thru and thru. not a great thing to do first thing in the morning......tend to doze off at my desk......zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

buzzzzzzzzzzz

have one! my main problem is rodents. they love to chew the hoses underneath.

suggestion;MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE ALL CRACKS AND HOLES,AND PUT ON A LEVEL PLATFORM.

HAVE FUN.

Latest posts