shuddering from standing start fixed...but what caused it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay 2004 4X4, 4:10 LSD. About 8 months ago I started to notice a faint shudder when I would start out from a dead stop. It would last about 1 to 2 seconds and it seemed worse when cold. Well it was really getting bad about 2 weeks ago and took it in to be looked at. The shuddering was really noticable when turning from a dead stop which lead me to believe it was something to do with the LSD.

Ford ended up replacing the clutch packs in the rear end and the problem is gone. I forgot to ask to look at the old clutch packs (if they were still around) and what may have caused it.

I would like to hear from anyone that had or has a similar problem and if they found out what caused it.

FYI, this ST is driven mainly by my wife, so it has had a very gentle life up to now. Very little 4X4 use, maybe 6 times, just for snow on the highway. Truck has never really been beat on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom's 2003 explorer had the same problem. To make a long story short.....they looked at it and ordered the packs, and told my parents it was OK to drive until the parts came in about a week...... Well after they messed up the order, six weeks passed and when they finally got the truck in.....it needed a new rear end. So that took anothor 2 weeks to order. All the while my mom had to drive a scummy smoked filled Taurus, lol

Bet you they forgot to add the bottle of friction modifier to the rear before filling with the synthetic fluid...

I have fixed many explorers like that. No need to replace the clutches..

Todd Z

Had same problem. Dealer replaced clutch pack under warranty or at least that's what he said they did. Problem is gone. If it starts again I'll add friction modifier since warranty has expired.