sickest sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Brown 2

Reaction score
who here has the best audio system??

im lookin at decking my 01 out with some serious subs and power. im gonna leave the pioneer speakers and the 6 disc in dash that i have... nebody have ne ideas for me???

im thinkin 2 pioneer TS-SW124D 12" shallow mount subs and a serious amp... all going under the seats.. lemme kno wut u guys think!

Why wouldnt you change the speakers? If you keep the rest of it stock, you are just going to have terrible sound with obnoxious bass that will only piss off the neighbors. 2 12's will be hard to fit anyway. And pioneer subs, from my experience, arent really that high quality. No offense, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want serious sound, don't use the saucer, shallow subs, they just don't put out the sound of a regular sub.

Carl (forget the last name) probably had the best SPL system, he was sponsored by Image Dynamics and had a complete SPL set-up.

As far as SPL, no one's really been tested as far as I know, or at least no one has posted anything that I can remember. A few will probably claim to be the best/loudest, but that's all subjective.

I agree with GccST, leaving teh factory HU and speakers will leave you with a crappy sounding system with nothing more then crappy bass.

Sorry but GccST is right, It defeats the purpose of not only $$$, but your time in effort if you don't replace at least the stock speakers.

Take it from me...if your planning on putting the time in...do it all the way and not half-ass like I did!:p

JL 1000/1 amp drive 2 JL subs. They will here you a mile a way. But the amp alone will cost 1200. But its 1000 watts not at peak though.

I kept the factory Head unit for several reasons, 1 It is a factory stereo, nobody will want to bust your 'trac up to get it. 2. It is a 6 disc changer. I did change everything else though. I did go with Pioneer 3 way speakers. I purchased a 5 way amp and 10" subwoofer from Spaceman Spiff and I got a Cwells 10" enclosure. It took a long time to hook up everything, I bypassed the factory harness for the subwoofer and ran my own wires. I pulled off the door panels and verified the speaker wires colors, that told me which wires to tap from the harness. It was an all day job but it was worth it.

Have a good one

Bob

P.S. My XM rocks now:cool:

Leaving the stock Pioneer speakers with new subs and amps is a lost cause. You could buy 30.00 speakers and they will sound better than the stock units. And, as far as the factory deck...I burn my own music so no need for the six changer OEM unit and 80 % of the time I listen to XM.

SST,

I did change the speakers, that was the first upgrade I did, the amp and subwoofer followed a year later.

Have a good one

Bob

I like the 6 disc in dash, but I had the stock radio, so I replaced it with a Pioneer Premier HU & 6 disc changer. (no longer made) I replaced the door speakers with Polk Audio 3 ways, and a Rockford Fosgate 8" sub, which has plenty of bass for me, and a couple of JBL amps to power it. I'm SURE I don't have the 'sickest sound', but it does sound good inside!

[Broken External Image]:

Get online and start reading. If you don't know the ins and outs of audio you won't be able to make the decisions you need to. No one is really going to be able to tell you what's the best. Well... we could, but that would just be our opinions.

Loudest in a ST? Check out Scott Helmreich's white '02.

[Broken External Image]:

I know he has a cardomain page too...

Hey guys I have 2 JL Audio 12w3v2's and a Precision Power 500.1 & Precision Power 300.4 amps for sale for $900.00 I had them in my trac but never hooked them up. Since I bought them my system plans have changed. If interested just e-mail me.

Check out my stereo on my profile.

about 1200 watts, pioneer avic n-1 HU, 4 8" JL subs in custom box behind rear seats. digital cap, and more to come

Sed,

I had a stereo shop do the install on the HU & Changer, as they had to 'trim' the radio bezel for it to fit the double din in there.. I don't think that it's much that they have to trim, but they have to trim it nonetheless...

i have upgraded speakers already.. i just said im gonna leave my pioneer speakers alone... i have no idea how to switch out the head unit and all... that picture of the head unit and 6 disc looks sick as hell, but too it looks like alot of work and $$. is that all custom work or can i buy some kinda explorer kit for that???

so u guys dont think that the shallow 12's are a good choice?? cuz im tryin to keep it lookin stock but with nice sound and loud as hell.

The only was to make it look stock and be loud is to put subs behind the seats.

With underseat mounts you're limited to the size and number of subs you can use, there just really isn't a lot of mounting depth for the long excursion of loud subs. I have heard some really good stuff from underseat stuff, but typically, the subs that fit under there aren't the loudest. Also, with underseat set-ups, you usually lose the ability to fold the seats down all the way, if at all. Even behind the seats the rear window motor and track limits what you can do.

Basically, it boils down to how much money you want to spend (loud = $$$), and how much you're willing to sacrifice looks, or functionality. You could put a single, really high-end, 8" behind the seat running at a lot of watts and retain the stock look and use, but you'll pay pretty for it.

Running an aftermarket headunit, and/or amping the door speakers will help with the loudness. But you'll want more then some Pioneer coaxials, a good 6.5" component system will go a long way to making a complete sound stage. The coax's are fine for the back, as that's only fill, but not for the front.

BTW, the confusion with your having aftermarket speakers is because the high-end stock audio system uses Pioneer speakers.

ive been shopping online and im thinkin im gonna keep the same stock 6 disc in dash... but amp the speakers. and then get 2 12 inch subs for under the seats, if i can fit 'em (i have to measure and all tomorrow). im gonna get a pretty good amp for that too seprately... im gonna do some more research on those shallow 12s, i think one of my friends might have em and his sound is really loud so im gonna check that out.

about that in-dash system pictured up there^^^^ wut are the models of the head unit and 6 disc in dash?? might be able to find a used one on ebay or something.:cool:

nebody kno the specs on the "high-end stock" pioneer systems for the 2001??? just wondering...:blink::blink:

It's listed in my member profile, but here it is...

Replaced the stock AM/FM/cassette/CD unit with:

Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP AM/FM/CD/MP3/Multi-CD player changer control unit

Pioneer Premier CDX-PD6 in dash 6-disc player

The 6 disc changer units are prone to problems, so good luck there. I had plenty o' problems with mine when I first bought it, and had to call Pioneer directly <b>AND</b> have the owner of the stereo store where I bought it talk to the 'higher ups' at Pioneer during the Electronics Show in L.A. to get it fixed! It still has a few 'quirks', but I can live with 'em...

As far as installation goes, it wasn't a big deal to 'trim' the bezel, and I probably could have done it myself, but I wanted to let someone that does it all day, every day do it (on the advice of my neighbor who used to own a stereo store himself)... and I'm glad I did! When the 6 disc didn't work, I was covered. Had I done the install myself, I'd have been screwed...

[Broken External Image]: